Ollie's (yet to be named) N Gauge layout

olliereading1123

Afternoon all, some of you may remember my layout of Kidderminster which featured on the old forum. I have since scrapped this and have started a new one. I realised that Kidderminster was mostly fiddleyard and the trains (especially the preserved line) didn't have much of a run, and also with the newer electric locos due in the future i wanted to utilise the Dapol catenery system. With all these in mind (plus the fact i still wanted to run modern and preserved) i came up with a new plan.

The layout is 1ft shorter than Kiddie, and 6inches wider and i have worked out that the scenic run of the mainline is roughly 0.8 scale miles. There will be a mainline station where it divides into 4.

Here is the plan (slight modifications have been made to the actual)

alternateplantrack-2.jpg

The baseboards have been built by a fellow club member and this is what we had during mid april.

SDC11555.jpg

SDC11556.jpg

SDC11557.jpg

SDC11559.jpg

SDC11560.jpg

And two with a 10 coach train to show how big the layout actually is

SDC11561.jpg

SDC11562.jpg

The bank holiday and half term equals layout time :D I took the layout back over to the club room and Nick helped me out a bit more.

This is what the layout looked like Sunday morning

SDC11779.jpg

And by Monday afternoon we had the following

SDC11784.jpg

A fully raised mainline (except for the curves to the mainline fiddle yards which were finished off today)

Few with trains on

SDC11785.jpg

SDC11786.jpg

SDC11787.jpg

As the layout is based in my Grandma's garage i have to transport it too and from the clubroom. The new raised section meant i couldn't fit it all in my car so i left half of it at the club so i could finish off the raised section

SDC11814.jpg

A couple to show how far i've got with track laying

SDC11816.jpg

SDC11815.jpg

And i had to take some with stock on

SDC11817.jpg

SDC11818.jpg

Thats all for now, Enjoy

Ollie

• 6 months later...

Hey Guys,

Unfortunatley there has been little progress on the layout due to my move to University. I've layed a bit more track but not much. I've had plenty of new stock additions with the highlights being:

ATM Car Carrier

SDC12668.jpg

A Pair of ATM Pocket Wagons

SDC12619.jpg

And i've been working on a few railtour rakes which i'll get pics for soon

Ollie

• 3 months later...

Evening all!!

I have now finished my first year of Uni so i will soon be moving back home, this will mean i will be able to get some work done on this layout (will also be finishing off my Uni layout which i will start a thread for today)

A slightly updated plan:

Plan.jpg

And this is a rough idea of the scenic idea:

PlanScenic.jpg

The idea is that the lower 'local' line is a preserved railway (excuse to run my steamers), where as the upper 'main' line will feature all the modern traction. I have left them as two seperate curcuits for a number of reasons:

a) Although the mainline will deffinatley be DCC i may leave the preserved line analogue (to save me chipping the smaller locos)

B) If i do go digital on the preserved i want to operate the two levels on different systems. I already have the Hornby Select, which i would use for the less busy preserved line, but i am wanting to get a more powerful system for the mainlines (most likely the Gaugemaster one)

c) Finally if i leave it as two seperate loops it would mean i could still have power to one whilst i worked on the other. So for example, i want to re-wire a section on the mainline, i could cut power to that but leave the preserved running without the risk of me shorting it through messed up wiring on the main.

As i run modern image(and preserved) i will be running some railtours on my layout. I am currently working on two railtour rakes and thought i'd share my progress :)

I'll start of with my Vintage trains rake purely because i'm a western man at heart. As i'm sure most of you know the basic vintage trains rake consists of a Mk1 support coach, 3 pullmans and several mk2's all in delicious Choccy/Cream. The problem is that there are no choc/cream Mk2's RTR, this meant i have had to buy some farish Mk2's and repaint them myself (poorly i will admit) My current rake stands as: Mk1 support coach (correctly numbered), 3 Mk1 pullmans (as they currently run with VT), 4 MK2 TSO's painted and interiors fitted but not yet numbered, and finally a Mk2 BSO. (btw i am aware they are technically the wrong type of mk2's) I'll let the pics explain:

SDC13042.jpg

SDC13043.jpg

SDC13044.jpg

SDC13045.jpg

Next i have opted for the railtour rake everyone see's, good old West Coast Railways. Now this rake will be slightly easier to do as west coast have Mk1's in maroon which means less repainting. I have got 1 Mk2 at the momment just as i fancied having a go at one :D The rake so far for this is: Pullman (the hadrian bar) A Mk2 FO, 2 x Mk1 SO and MK1 SK. And the pics:

MK2 FO repainted into a maroonish colour, WCRC decals added, just need to line and number

SDC12662.jpg

Mk1 SO, WCRC decals added and numbered to 4940

SDC12657.jpg

Mk1 SK, WCRC decals added and numbered 99722 (18806) in real life this has a TSO interior which i will replicate at some point (picture not great on this one)

SDC12659.jpg

And a final close up of the west coast decal

SDC12661.jpg

Well I’ll leave you with those to browse through, any questions feel free to ask ïŠ

Ollie

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my goodness, an update!

I have managed to get some more track layed, i'll let the photos talk

SDC13083.jpg

SDC13081.jpg

SDC13079.jpg

These are the longest three roads and the stock shown is purely to indicate their size, these will most likely hold freight trains.

Feel free to question me :D

Ollie

Archived