Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Digitrax Zephyr (DCS 52) and DCC concepts digi ip point motors.

Chuckles S/V

I'm trying to program the DCC Concepts digi ip point motors with the DCS Zephyr DCS 52.  All instructions found on here refer to buttons "T" and "C" but those buttons do not appear on the DCS 52. (they do on older models)

At the moment I have just one motor connected to the DCC controller track bus for testing.

1. I put digi ip into set.

2. Select acc then the number I want on the motor.

3. Press throw and close buttons

4. Repeat the above.

5. Kill the power. 

6. Motor switch back to run.

7. Apply power select acc number I just set.

But it most times it does not work!  Sometimes I do get a hit and it works but most times it does not. Tried multiple times with different motors (still digi ip) with the same results

Am I doing something wrong?  It's driving me nuts.....

• RMweb Gold

In step 3 try just pressing throw and for step 4 press throw again. 

I think you may be confusing it by pressing throw and close. 

I agree the instructions are a little vague ;)

This is what I use on the NCE

NCE - to program cobaltip address

(1st to deactivate auto centre using 198)

Connect dcc input

Put switch to SET

SELECT ACCY - 198 - ENTER - 1

SELECT ACCY - 198 - ENTER - 1

Disconnect dcc input

Put switch to NORMAL

Connect dcc input

Put switch to SET

SELECT ACCY - ADDRESS NO. - ENTER - 1

SELECT ACCY - ADDRESS NO. - ENTER - 1

Disconnect dcc input

Put switch to NORMAL

Connect dcc input

Edited by PaulRhB

Hi Paul 

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes you are correct like an idiot I did connect T & C with throw and close what an idiot!!!!

"SELECT ACCY - 198 - ENTER - 1"  Still not quite sure what you mean with enter-1?

In this case the point motor was in use so didn't need to remove the 198.  But have always had the problem setting the addresses.

I think there is a further complication with this particular motor in so far as it seems to dump it's address for a reason best known to itself every now and then. 

I might add I'm very new to all this which does not help.

Today I installed an acc bus including a DCC Concepts Cobalt alpha Central (Digitrax now just for train control) all worked fine inc the problem motor till I powered system down to go to lunch when powered up again was when I had the motor problem. 

Sorry for long winded reply but I have got it all working again think I have sussed it out now practised on a spare motor connected directly to the Digitrax DCS 52 an after a couple of false starts think I know where I was going wrong.  Grovelling about under the layout with things in a difficult position did not help!

Thanks again

You were a great help

• RMweb Gold

Enter - 1 is just the way the NCE selects the ‘throw’ to happen. 

On losing addresses they are susceptible to it with shorts, it’s not every one that is but I had three that did. I got a BUS dcc snubber and put it across the far end of the BUS and it stops the power spike as you start up the system and haven’t had an issue since. 
https://www.roxleymodels.co.uk/concepts-supressorsterminators-p-4002.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwoNuGBhA8EiwAFxomA7JHIScfSY5JFqB9xOETXYIDAKjDaItcsDuSNumOZK1v5lnK7kLUlxoCdH0QAvD_BwE

and a topic on them here

• Like 1

On 27/06/2021 at 07:23, PaulRhB said:

Enter - 1 is just the way the NCE selects the ‘throw’ to happen. 

On losing addresses they are susceptible to it with shorts, it’s not every one that is but I had three that did. I got a BUS dcc snubber and put it across the far end of the BUS and it stops the power spike as you start up the system and haven’t had an issue since. 
https://www.roxleymodels.co.uk/concepts-supressorsterminators-p-4002.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwoNuGBhA8EiwAFxomA7JHIScfSY5JFqB9xOETXYIDAKjDaItcsDuSNumOZK1v5lnK7kLUlxoCdH0QAvD_BwE

and a topic on them here

Hi Paul,

We did have a small batch of motors manufactured in late 2018 that had a memory issue when the DCC bus was shorted.

This was due to them being fitted with an out of specification component.

Once the issue was identified, steps were taken to ensure that there was never a repeat.

Since then, we have sold over 30000 Cobalt Digital IP with no re-emergence of the problem

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DCCconcepts said:

Hi Paul,

We did have a small batch of motors manufactured in late 2018 that had a memory issue when the DCC bus was shorted.

This was due to them being fitted with an out of specification component.

Once the issue was identified, steps were taken to ensure that there was never a repeat.

Since then, we have sold over 30000 Cobalt Digital IP with no re-emergence of the problem

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

And the support was excellent in sorting it out for mine as I’ve said in my layout thread :) but it’s possible people may still get older stock and hopefully this popping up on the search can sort it. 

It’s become my default choice where I can get enough depth :) 

• Like 1