DRS roof colour

• RMweb Premium

Hi.

I have a problem which I am almost certain somebody will be able to solve.

I am currently building a DJH Class 47, O gauge model, in DRS Compass livery.

I have got all of the paints from Phoenix Precision, and I am happy with all but one of them ;

The P115 B.R. Roof Grey.

To my eye, this paint looks like a dark mushroom colour, rather than a definite grey.

I understand that colour perception is an individual thing, and I have no reason to doubt that the colour is accurate, however I have

no intention of putting it anywhere near my model.

I have asked Phoenix if they can suggest another colour, haven't received an answer.

DJH have a photo of a Class 47 in DRS compass livery, on their website, and I have just asked them for the second time if they can tell

me what colour the builder used, as that colour is exactly what I want.  ( Photo on DJH website, and subject to their copyright, so I can't copy it )

With this being such an expensive model, I really want to get it right.

Can anybody suggest a different colour for the roof ?

Thanks

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Hi.

I've done a bit (a lot really) research and discovered something, and possibly answered my own question !!

I tried to put into the search engine, "DRS Roof Grey" and got two completely different colours, both enamel, and both by Railmatch.

Both are listed as "DRS Roof Grey" but one is a very light blue/grey, which is for the DRS coaching stock, and the other is probably what I am looking for ; a dark grey, which I assume/hope is for the loco.

I have ordered some of the dark grey version of "DRS Roof Grey" and will see what it looks like.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info Jo.

I think I may depart from black a little, although the considerable number of photo's, online and the ones I've taken, show black, as you say, or very dark grey.  

Personally I think the dark grey looks better.

I don't intend trying to win any prizes for this loco ; I am building it purely for my own pleasure, so rather than being prototypically correct I am going for "looks nice to me".

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

P.S. DJH got back to me yesterday, about the photo of a DRS Class 47 model on their website.

They suggested that the grey used for that model was possibly "Intercity Grey".