RMweb

RhB Wagon Colours

Mike Beard

8 minutes ago, Mike Beard said:

What is a good starting point for a typical fresh out of the works log carrier? Humbrol, Revell or maybe Halfords?

Thanks in Advance

I don't use any of the three makes you mention! 

I favour Vallejo or Tamiya.

Here is one of Harry's pictures showing what looks like a set of ex works S wagons, the grey is a close match IMO to Vallejo pale blue grey 70 907, but also note the dark slate grey on the uprights

http://www.haribu.ch/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/7603.jpg

• Like 2

On 29/06/2021 at 22:46, Mike Beard said:

What is a good starting point for a typical fresh out of the works log carrier? Humbrol, Revell or maybe Halfords?

Thanks in Advance

I was looking at this other day. As I understand it the official colour is RAL7001 for the side frames. A comparison search on the below website gave a close match for Humbrol 64 which I had in stock and used on my type Sl and will for my type Rw. Other matches are given for different manufacturers. I always apply over a spray primer in this case grey. 

A photo is the best guide as some Rw's seem to use the same colour for the stanchions. 

https://www.modelshade.com/paint-conversion-chart/ral/

Nigel

• RMweb Premium
On 29/06/2021 at 22:46, Mike Beard said:

Thanks in Advance

Hi Mike,

Following a similar query over on the RhB forum I gather from JimFin that the side frames are RAL 7001 (Silver grey) and the bogies should be RAL 7024 (Graphite grey).

I got some Revell enamels to paint my versions and after checking out the best matches I went for 374 as a match for the silver grey and 78 for the graphite grey.

The wagons do tend to take on an all over brown colour once they've been in service a while!

Let us know how you get on.

Ian

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I have got to this point with mine. Odd thing with the colour, I found by accident the £4.99 Aldi Deco silver grey spray was spot on.

IMG_20210703_165025.jpg.f3ba66c90f232d64e454a56ca080c791.jpg

• Like 5