Help wanted identifying O Gauge crane.

grow45

I found this among my late fathers 7mm railway items. It seems to be of heavy diecast metal construction with a nice ratchet mechanism to operate the crane. There is a spike in the base to insert into a base of some sort or possibly a wagon but no sign of one. There is no lettering on it other than that on the side of the jib. 

Can anybody help identify it. 

Thanks

IMG_20210714_215257.jpg

Edited by grow45

Usually TTR = Trix Twin Railway, so 00, rather than 0, methinks.

Yes, this is it 

https://www.brightontoymuseum.co.uk/index/Breakdown_Crane_Truck_Set_(Trix_Twin_Railway_615)

Very nice set, when complete, and there is probably a Trix collector out there somewhere who needs that part.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

The TTR logo is the Trix logo, so it is undoubtedly from the Breakdown Crane Truck set 615 as shown on the Brighton Toy Museum's website as per Nearholmer's  link.

However the Toy Museum's comment about it appearing in a catalogue dating to about 1963 gives the idea that it dates to that period. This is incorrect as a new design of crane body and jib, both made of plastic, was introduced in 1963.

According to Tony Matthewman the breakdown crane set was first introduced into the TTR range in 1939, and the truck bodies changed to plastic in 1961 but still with the original metal crane body and jib.

The illustration on the Toy Museum website could be from the 1959 or 1960 catalogues as the same picture appears to have been used in both editions. The 1964 catalogue shows the new plastic breakdown crane.

Edited by GoingUnderground
To correct Tony Matthewman's name
  • Informative/Useful 1

As stated this crane was available both as a breakdown crane and platform mounted.

The first  wagons were a green colour (as the illustration above) and later grey.

A nice operating accessory and  useable on all three systems (changing the wheels (easy enough) would be necessary for Dublo track of course).

It wasn't all that expensive either. 11/3d comes to mind for the yard crane, though the breakdown set was a bit more.

59 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

As stated this crane was available both as a breakdown crane and platform mounted.

The first  wagons were a green colour (as the illustration above) and later grey.

And when the match wagon bodies changed from tinplate to plastic in 1961, Tony Matthewman says that Trix used the same body as the 3 plank wagon, which was available in red/light brown (P.601), and light grey (P.602) so the colour of the Breakdown Crane truck bodies could be either colour. His illustrations of the evolution of the Breakdown Crane set shows a 1961 example with the truck bodies in the red/light brown plastic.

The breakdown crane set (1610) introduced in 1964 used a different match truck, the "low sided gondola wagon - 1698" in the 1964 catalogue.

Thanks for all the input.  I had wondered about Trix Twin Railway because of the  logo but discounted it because as far as I was aware he only had Hornby Tinplate and 7mm finescale.  I guess it was part of a job lot of some sort he bought. No sign of wagons or a base yet but I still have a few boxes to go through.

Thanks

• Like 1

This was quite an expensive model. In the 1956 Gamage's "Book of Model Trains" the Trix Working Crane on Base costs 15/6 while the Model Crane Truck Set goes for 26/6.

From the same shop you could have had a Tri-ang R.51 0-6-2 Precision CLOCKWORK Tank Loco and Key for 18/9 or three Hornby Dublo D11 Coaches (ER) for 27/- 

• Informative/Useful 4

On 14/07/2021 at 22:53, Nearholmer said:

there is probably a Trix collector out there somewhere who needs that part.

If anybody  wants it or knows somebody who does in return for a small donation to the SRPS Morayshire fund  let me know - SRPS Morayshire Fund

Edited by grow45