Online Tool for Points Switch Panel Track Diagram

alphonsus

Probably not the clearest of topic titles, but I couldn't think of anything better. Many (most?) layouts have some form of panel showing the track layout for mounting point control switches and possibly indicator LEDs. I tried creating one in Microsoft Visio, which is a pretty good all-round technical drawing application, but it just didn't want to produce a suitable diagram. I wasn't satisfied with the exported images from AnyRail either, as I wanted a more Harry Beck style diagram.

Enter https://metromapmaker.com/...

My AnyRail design became this and then this after a little tweaking (in Paint, of all things!).

Rather recommended, and yes, I've just noticed the crossovers at the top and bottom of the diagram are the wrong way around!

Main Design a.jpg

metromapmaker (2).png

metromapmaker (1).png

Edited by alphonsus
Oopsie!

• RMweb Gold

I used Anyrail for my initial track plan design, but then also redid it for the panel plan. In doing so, I created wider track spacing and added some labels (platform numbers, points numbers etc). I also avoided having the complete plan as one, as I felt that made it too busy as a switch panel. So I missed out a branch line where there were no points, which basically led to me having two plans, mounted side by side as a control panel. Plan 1 is the twin track circuit and storage yard, plan 2 is the terminus station (so the long branch line itself is not featured)

I changed the Anyrail colouring and track appearance for printing, for which I engaged a local printer to print direct onto Dibond sheet. Very happy with it. My total panel is 90 x 22 cm, representing a layout size of 3.5 x 2 metres.

I would suggest that unless your control panel is going to be a significant physical size, your panel track spacing may be too tight if you plan to mount switches and/or LEDs on the track. I say this thinking of both the physical size of switches and LEDs, but also the wiring connections below the panel. I used DCC Concepts Alpha switches, which are both a switch and an LED, so space saving in that respect. I also have push button uncouplers on the panel.

10641F6E-4110-4EF2-AB7C-A2677413A725.jpeg

Edited by ITG
Incorrect measurement now updated
  • Like 2

That's very impressive work, ITG. Could you tell me which Alpha switches you used, please? The array of gear on the DCC Concepts site is a bit bewildering!

I was thinking of using momentary (so (ON)-OFF-(ON)) SPDT 3A switches whose bodies are 13mm long and 6 mm wide. I'm hoping (based on other forum discussions) that that current rating will be sufficient to shift points using a CDU as although briefly higher, the current falls quickly and will be low by the time the contacts separate, which is the real limiting factor in the switch design.

The rubber switch covers have a diameter of about 14mm so that dictates the pitch between turnouts on the diagram (in the grey section, for example). Based on that, the diagram scales to about 36cm wide. 3mm LEDs to indicate the point is set to a siding can go on the siding, still thinking about where to mount the through line LED, unless I use dual colour LEDs. However I might not be able to source the colour combinations I want.

The diagram shows (crudely) where the switches would go. The black circles represent the switch covers and the switches themselves are enclosed within that shape (apart from 0.5mm projections at the corners). I could reduce the amount of whitespace and shorten the length of the sidings which would bring the panel down to the size of a sheet of A4 paper.

switch layout.png

• RMweb Gold

whoops. I just realised I quoted the size of a single panel, not the two combined. Just altered the original post, but to be clear, the overall panel pictured is 90 x 22cm.

Alphonsus - that does seem a lot of track and switches all on one side of A4. Although it might fit, are you sure that aesthetically it won’t look overcrowded. My panel sizes were in part driven by the fact that I used laser cut off-the-shelf consoles, but when experimenting, I didn’t feel I could get it any smaller than the end result.

Edited by ITG
Addition

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, alphonsus said:

Could you tell me which Alpha switches you used, please? The array of gear on the DCC Concepts site is a bit bewildering!

The switches are (4 packs of) Alpha Switch D, product ref DCD-DSG, driven by 2 x Alpha Encoders DCD-AEU. (No connection other than satisfied customer)

I have some 30 odd points on my layout, but the above products drive them as 24, due to several being either crossovers or two ends of a loop (ie for simultaneous switching).

it’s not an inexpensive option, but I liked the twin function of both illuminated LED and momentary contact switch. The LED lights in the direction set, and automatically extinguishes the opposite route. I use them with my Prodigy Advance2, but adapters are available for other control units. Note I also needed an extra power booster for the whole set up.

The LEDs are actually powered by a separate 12v DC supply, but linked by address code to the point, so this replaces the use of the handset for accessory control. Only a single pair of wires from DCC bus is required for all the points.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

I really don't like using fixed control panels. You only have to alter the track layout a little and it's a lot of work, plus you have all those switches and wiring to deal with. If you are using DCC, it is much easier to use a cheap Windows PC and monitor with Panelpro. Once it is all set up with accessory decoders, all you have to do to change point and signal settings is a click of a mouse and the layout display can be changed easily.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I prefer to use a flat screen display driven by a computer, driving DCC commands via JMRI. My personal choice is a 22" touch screen, which I must admit is a tad expensive, but you can get much cheaper non-touch screens if you use a mouse or equivalent to drive it. The computer is a Raspberry Pi - perfect low-cost option.

The big plus is that you can keep everything up to date very easily as Stephen says in his posting.

I covered some of this in previous postings here:

Yours,  Mike.