RMweb

Controller advice

Nigel1958

I am after advice regarding upgrading dcc controller, currently using NCE power cab but need more power for more locos and sound. I am undecided whether to purchase a NCE SB5 booster or to change to Gaugemaster prodigy2.  I am aware that if I use the SB5 I will loose the programming track option but this would not be a problem.  

Any advice would be gratefully received .

• RMweb Gold

You wont loose the program track option as the handset can still be connected to the old system. You merely move the handset to the old setup which can be easier as the wires don't have to be swapped to the program track.

DCC concepts make a very good connector if you need a fascia mounted connector instead of plugging the powercab into the SB5.

Chaz

Edited by CHAZ D
extra info

17 minutes ago, Nigel1958 said:

I am after advice regarding upgrading dcc controller, currently using NCE power cab but need more power for more locos and sound. I am undecided whether to purchase a NCE SB5 booster or to change to Gaugemaster prodigy2.  I am aware that if I use the SB5 I will loose the programming track option but this would not be a problem.  

Have you considered the MERG kit 59 (and associated power brick)? I've an NCE PowerCab, and was tending towards the MERG solution on the grounds of cost.

Ian

1 hour ago, Nigel1958 said:

Thanks Ian I will look into this.

When I last looked, a few months back, I the MERG kit 59 was ~£28 and the associated power supply 774 was ~£25, so ~£60 for the 'system'. But, of course, you have to assemble the kit yourself.

I've assembled 8 of the MERG Kit 57s (short circuit detection modules), and had no problems.  They work very well with the PowerCab, and here are 6 of them installed:

20210115_155734_resize.jpg.e0bfb6ccc1f6958be9b2f526755dc459.jpg

Ian

2 hours ago, Nigel1958 said:

DCCconcepts do a 5A power upgrade bundle suitable for the Powercab.

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/alpha-system-upgrade-bundle-limited-time-promotion/

(This is also a suitable upgrade for those that wish to add extra power on other systems)

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

13 hours ago, CHAZ D said:

You wont loose the program track option as the handset can still be connected to the old system......

The PowerCab handset itself  is the "old system".

Just poor wording perhaps?

As you say, just plug the PowerCab back into the old programming track set-up, or create a new one, with its own socket.

13 hours ago, CHAZ D said:

.....You merely move the handset to the old setup which can be easier as the wires don't have to be swapped to the program track......

10 hours ago, DCCconcepts said:

DCCconcepts do a 5A power upgrade bundle suitable for the Powercab.

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/alpha-system-upgrade-bundle-limited-time-promotion/

Apart from being cheaper than the NCE SB5 , does the Alpha Box contain the track power protection, that the NCE kit fails to provide?

13 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Apart from being cheaper than the NCE SB5 , does the Alpha Box contain the track power protection, that the NCE kit fails to provide?

Yes - the Alpha Box has fast acting output circuit protection.

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

• Thanks 1