Single slip woes

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wear Valley Wanderer said:

The mystery has now been solved. It only cost me a 4-pin chip and hours of frustration, but I got there in the end.

The instructions on the packaging are correct, if a little misleading in the fact that you are meant to snip the wires to the exit rails (The two just after the frog itself in the picture I posted earlier). These are then twisted together as you do with a double slip, then wired to the polarity switch terminals of the opposite point motor. Finally, one of the point motors (At least in my case) has to have its track power reversed. The instructions for the point motor suggest on some occasions you may have to do this, but when and why is not explained. Thirdly, I found one of my wires had become disconnected, so checking and double checking with a multi-meter is essential for maintaining sanity. 

Now to get on with the rest. Only twenty more points to go. Thanks again to all for your help!

Cheers,

Mark

Be aware that you cannot, as suggested in a previous post, gang the motors to operate together. When one pair of blades is set for the ‘through’ route the other set must be set for the curved one. Both cannot be set for the through routes at the same time as you will have opposing polarities in either route if you do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1