Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Coronation class loco - body or kit available in N/2mm?

• RMweb Gold

I would like to build a Coronation class loco, for a diorama in 2mm scale/N gauge, and have need for at least the body piece.  I have checked Peter's Spares and Graham Farish Spares but to no avail.  Does anyone know of any other sources, either for a kit or just the body?

cheers,
Mike

Edited by Royal42

• RMweb Gold

Hello Bernard,

thank you for those links.  I am going to order one but can you just confirm, because one is Chinese made, that they are to British 1:148 scale?  Please excuse my ignorance on this.

Mike

Yes, they are 1:148.

One thing did strike me though; there's never been an R-T-R N gauge Princess Royal class. Lone Star's pushalong was half-size Triang with all the faults that has, while the only kit since then was the old D&M one from the late 1970s.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Bernard.   The OO/HO Princess Royal was the only train (set) that I ever had, it was for my tenth birthday, and I still have fond memories of that.

As to the Coronation,  the loco won't be an RTR as it is needed for this diorama:

46235 "City of Birmingham" being transported to the science museum in Birmingham.

2069162575_WynnsPacificM26_07_with_City_of_Birmingham_outside_the_Science_Museum_1000px_c_Terence_Dorrity.jpg.3012c59bcc0ac1af89f8ec6516f75016.jpg

photo copyright of Terence Dorrity.  Message sent to Terry advising of using the image and asking for permission.

I will order the body from Farish Spares and will probably scratchbuild all the other components.  Being a non-runner and on that trailer, I won't have a need to get pure accuracy underneath.

cheers,
Mike

Edited by Royal42
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you look around you can find a few. I own a working Queen Elizabeth in N.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y6NXGj5Yy84EmW2A7

No, she's not for sale. Just thought I'd mention it :D

I actually wanted a Princess Elizabeth because my Dad gave me two Triang models back in the day (a black one and a better green one). Sadly there appears never to have been a PE in N. Like the APT-E that I also want it seems like it will never happen.

Edited by AndrueC

• RMweb Premium
On 27/08/2021 at 17:40, Royal42 said:

I would like to build a Coronation class loco, for a diorama in 2mm scale/N gauge, and have need for at least the body piece.  I have checked Peter's Spares and Graham Farish Spares but to no avail.  Does anyone know of any other sources, either for a kit or just the body?

cheers,
Mike

Probably no use to you but I have produced etched kits for the Princess Royal and Princess Coronation in 2mm finescale. Here are a couple of pics.

936144252_CoB7.JPG.5b32816ec889f1acc9db104855f51699.JPG

1710955324_PrincessArthur2P.JPG.2c9b76c72a255d250166a515d1219687.JPG

Nigel Hunt

Edited by Nig H
update
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1