The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Club schedules

rockershovel

I've received various communications about club activities resuming. I'm a great joiner of clubs (my itinerant lifestyle tends to mean it's the only way I really get anything done) and as in do many other aspects, people seem to be all over the board...      the Hornby Collectors seem to have a full programme and (from the pics on their Facebook page) seem to be meeting, subject to things they don't control like individual venue restrictions. NAROGG are presently planning to resume meetings April 2022, partly due to venue issues. Market Deeping are immersed in issues relating to their change of premises, but that seems to be moving ahead now. On a wider front, the bike racing is coming to life again (we had a very successful grass track meeting in July and another planned for October) although some clubs need to clarify their thinking, with complex procedures which tend to break down on the day. How are others finding this side of things? 

• 5 months later...

Moving along, I see the Hornby Collectors seem to have a full programme for 2022 (I'm tempted to run down to their Cambridge meeting next week). NAROGG are planning 3 meetings and MDMRC are moving ahead with their long-delayed club room move. 

How are other members finding club activities? 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, rockershovel said:

How are other members finding club activities? 

We still have members who for understandable reasons don't feel ready to return to the clubrooms. We now open 4 nights each week - two are "restricted" and masks must be worn and social distancing observed - however we have removed the need to book in advance to control numbers and the need to answer a number of questions about Covid. Two other nights are completely unrestricted - so how we operated in the past. About 70% of members have renewed their subscriptions (48 out of 65) but only about two thirds of them have actually been back to the clubroom so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Went along to a pub music session I've enjoyed in the past, now finding its feet again. Good turnout, no mention of Covid, pub restaurant was busy too. 

I see the usual "club diary" website is sparking back into life, so another session beckons on Monday. Seems to be a revival of a long-dormant venue (sessions tend to migrate over time) so we'll see. 

MDMRC are well advanced with their much-delayed move to new premises. No mention of the ghastly plague there, either.

Hornby Collectors have a meeting near Cambridge next week. I can't manage the daytime ones (work) but this one is an evening session, so the temptation to pack up the trusty Lionel 2-8-4 and a few O27 carriages is strong....

NAROGG are still inching forwards, looking forward to then finally emerging from hibernation. 

• 4 months later...

Didn't make it to HRCA Cambridge but it was quite busy the previous time. Next trip is Bedford, I think. 

MDMRC are progressing, now venturing into a Junior Section which is good news. A couple of members have had bouts of the Evil Lurgi  but "don't come if you have it" is the watchword. 

NAROGG seem to have had a poor turnout last time. I admit I didn't go; too much "covid worrying" in the notification. Hope they get the numbers this month. 

As a general comment on clubs and gatherings, the people minded to get out and support things aren't receptive to the doom-saying. Numbers are definitely down overall and this translates to attendances being more focused. 

• 1 month later...

Another disappointment. I had a Williams brass Pacific and a selection of MPC-era boxcars packed for HRCA at Cambridge, but work over-ran and I couldn't get away at any useful time. 

A shame because I enjoyed this group. 

Looking forward with hope and trepidation to NAROGG in Oct...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...