class 58 wheel corrosion problem

Dan Griffin

today i got out my railfreight red stripe 58, 58041 to give it a bit of a run, but, shockingly, the wheels have a corrosion on them, very much similar to that found on an old battery, a greenish grey powder that has formed itself on the wheels, but has not effected the brass pick ups. it has cleaned off all the wheels with a fiberglass brush but one wheel flange has been eaten away and Heljan are sending a replacment. this model has been stored in its box, inside the house in damp free conditions and the wheels were certainly clean when it was put away about a year ago. this powedery stuff has not effected the foam in the box or the paintwork ojn the model either. just a word of advice to check your 58's if they are not being used, my railfreight coal one, 58014 is not effected by this and has been in storage for about the same time.

It is the same Mazak rot that the chassis can suffer from, the wheels are a zinc casting, plated with copper and nickel chromed.

Some makers use brass as the core, there would be no corrosion though, so it must be the Chinese made Mazak that is again at the core of the problem. Easier to fix than chassis though, as other makers wheels could be used as well.

Basically it needs a new set of either Heljan wheels or Gibson, Ultrascale , Markits etc., which may be available as direct fit or need bushing to fit the axles. If Heljan have one side earthed it would be easier to use theirs, or short out the other makes or use extra pickups.

Stephen.

Archived