RMweb

Gopher

Thanks Graham - I have limited viewing angles to take photos, as the layout runs around three walls of the room.  So hard not to repeat what I have already posted.  I used my digital camera for this photo, as opposed to my phone camera

Best Wishes

Clive

5 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Lovely shot Clive, takes me back to the times on my uncles farm.🙂

Thanks Kevin.  The farm is based on my memories of working on farms in my teens and early 20s.  Farms were smaller in those days (200 acres was a large farm, more like 2000 acres today).  They were also mixed (bit of arable, livestock, dairy).   Also  much more manual labour than today (having said that caring for livestock, especially sheep  still requires a bit of muscle)

Best wishes

Clive 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Gopher said:

20230427_161049.jpg.fa2a387eba5b59b5b3b1ee9e8d716a37.jpgOn the subject of the tank - the gear boxes and motors have been installed.  Bit of a fiddle to get both, aligned with the various screw holes, to fix them to the hull.

Clive can I ask what scale is the tank.

The tank now has drive sprockets installed.   The casing they are attached to has some reduction gears installed  (yet more cogs and grease).

I thought I'd better test before proceeding any further.  So touched the individual motor leads to a 9v battery, and glad to say motors, gears etc worked and the drive sprockets rotated (tested forward and reverse ).

Next up is to add the bazooka plate supports and then the 12 road wheels.  

20230428_101412.jpg

20230428_101451.jpg

• Like 8

Twelve road wheels looking for a Centurion tank.  Each wheel is made up of - two plastic wheels screwed together with three small screws, two rubber tyres, and two bearings.

Each wheel will rotate on a metal stub axle (suitably greased), the axle will be secured to the suspension arm by a screw.  Finally a hub cap is stuck on to hide the axle/brass bearing.

That just leaves the front idler wheels to build and install, before the tracks are fitted.

I think I will weather the lower hull (and tracks) before I fit the tracks.      

20230428_183248.jpg.b749363cf18f67e79b3f7eb233d80c87.jpg

• Like 6

Mr Parry waits for the train at Harewood Halt, that will bring his wife home from her shopping trip in Hereford.  Accompanied by his pride and joy the Morris 1000 Traveller, plus another sea gull who has never seen the sea.     

IMG_5609.JPG.099e07c86542f97d5a01b95426b88385.JPG

• Like 14

The tank - road wheels fitted, and weathering and crud applied to the lower hull.  

Bit strange to apply weathering at this stage.  Two reasons - I wanted to weather the hull before I added the road wheels even though some of the weathering will be hidden.  Secondly the tank hull is easier to work on at this stage, (certainly lighter).  I used some new (well to me at least) products for the weathering.  Two different colours of mud paste, stippled on,  then airbrushed with a thin coat of acrylic brown paint to tone it all down, finally sealed by a coat of varnish       

20230430_184355.jpg

20230430_184439.jpg

20230430_184418.jpg

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, Gopher said:

The grounded van body which used to serve as a goods lock up at Harewood Halt 

IMG_5605.JPG.d355212f69395135416a7b93557d32e5.JPG

That looks nice and miss covered, the rust on the louvres is really convincing.

Like @Kevin Johnson, I do like to see a grounded van put to use.

This one serves as the cattle dock hay store for Aston on Clun.

IMG_20220603_1828122.jpg.9a1703052df7dd4739c08d548c4fe0fb.jpg

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Clive it's great to see grounded vans being used on ones layout. I do like the colour and weathering you have achieved.👍

Thanks Kevin, the kit was a freebie with Railway Modeller a few years ago (Ratio).

I think I used Humbrol natural wood for the body, then ran a diluted wash into the joints between the planks with a bow pen, and ended up by dry brushing light grey and greens over the planking to make it look run down and weathered.  Dry brushed some rust coloured paint on the metal bits, and possibly another diluted dark wash over the metal bits, to tone the rust colour down .

Best Wishes

Clive

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That looks nice and miss covered, the rust on the louvres is really convincing.

Like @Kevin Johnson, I do like to see a grounded van put to use.

This one serves as the cattle dock hay store for Aston on Clun.

IMG_20220603_1828122.jpg.9a1703052df7dd4739c08d548c4fe0fb.jpg

Thanks Rob.  Lovely job

Best Wishes

Clive

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Very nice, lovely weathering @MrWolf.

Thanks, the main reason for posting is that mine is sun bleached from being in an exposed position, regardless of the British weather and Clive's is in a damper, more sheltered spot so the planks haven't shrunk, but taken on the mossy appearance that farm gates sheltered by a hedge do.

No two are alike and nor should they be.

I'm glad it was retained for this incarnation of Dewchurch, you still see them all over the place, even now.

IMG_20220724_155112.jpg.c31eae8afb4f52e67f41e282efc457c3.jpg

Pic: E.Spiers 

• Like 5