York Station and TMD

RailwaysInMyDNA

On 17/02/2022 at 11:44, t-b-g said:

I wish you the very best of luck with the project.

I love to see people being really ambitious and going for something spectacular and I am even more impressed when, like Heaton Lodge Junction, they see it through and that case in a very impressive timescale.

I have been helping a friend who is building Doncaster in 4mm scale, EM Gauge. The model, from Hexthorpe Bridge to North Bridge, scales at around 40ft of scenic section and is almost 6ft wide. Reaching the middle of that is tricky enough in 4mm so I will be interested to see how you manage in 7mm. Depending on your period, there is some really interesting but tricky pointwork to tackle. I built it all in EM Gauge and it was quite a challenge. There are very few "standard" LH or RH points and lots of fancy stuff. After the platforms were extended, much of the fancy stuff was replaced by rather simpler crossovers and points.

In the mid to late 1970s that was my top trainspotting place and I spent many a happy weekend or school holiday there, usually at the south end of Platform 1 standing next to the Deltics as they set off for London. Happy days!   

Many thanks for your good wishes. I am aiming big but will be able to work on it full time when the layout build itself gets underway.

The trackwork is indeed complex, with a number of slips required and building pointwork will be a real challenge.

A new thread will appear at a more appropriate time when the layout construction begins after sizeable building work has been done.

13 hours ago, JeffP said:

Doncaster?

Yes...base your model in the late 50's.:D

A1, A2, A3, A4, W1, A1/1, A2/1, A2/2, A 2/3, B1...and that's just for starters.

The only problem with Donny is that the shed is a mile south.

But there's the works entry where ex- works locos stood, and locos awaiting entry for repair or scrap.

Apologies Jeff, but my chosen time period is around 1970. It won't be fixed in stone, as someone will always be pointing out an error, stating such and such!

So l do reserve the right to have something turn up unexpectedly!