West Somerset Mixed Traffic Event

Temeraire

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Another enjoyable day out on Friday for the "Leaford on the road crew" after last month's visit to Swanage was made to the West Somerset railway's mixed traffic event. Hampshire Hog (Kevin) was transported back to his youth by the Hydraulic fest on offer, whilst myself and Pitbull1845 (Scott) experienced them for the first time on account of our age!biggrin.gif A superb day out all round with perfect weather, trains on time and good company, roll on the next event. I attached a few pics to record the day.

post-6922-127629822841_thumb.jpg

Western D1010 at Crowcombe Heathfield double heading D821.

post-6922-12762982788_thumb.jpg

"Thunderbird" 33048 at Wiliton.

post-6922-127629831633_thumb.jpg

Warship D832 at Wiliton.

post-6922-127629837157_thumb.jpg

Hymek D7017 approaching Blue Anchor.

post-6922-127629841906_thumb.jpg

A fine looking loco that unfortunately failed when it reached Bishops Lydeyard.

post-6922-127629851545_thumb.jpg

Western D1062 also at Blue Anchor.

post-6922-12762985988_thumb.jpg

"A sad moment" as a glum faced Scott waits at Wiliton for his early train home to work!

post-6922-127629878005_thumb.jpg

After arrival at Minehead double-headed, D832 is about to be split from its partner before running to the turntable for photos.

post-6922-127629868755_thumb.jpg

D821 is left to run round and return the train to BL.

• RMweb Premium

Has that Hymek got white cab window surrounds? If it has it's rather a shame they couldn't get it right because otherwise if looks superb.

Yes they are white but I thought that was authentic (not old enough to know for sure!). If they can paint a 50 in loadhaul who cares it looks good to me.

• RMweb Premium

Nice pictures Ian, apart from the obvious one!

It was a great day and a new experience being hauled by the varied diesels of old...

It was also my first visit to the West Somerset railway, very impressed.

Cheers

Scott

Did you get to catch up on your sleep at work then?wink.gif

Great pix and neat locos -- although not as cool as steam ! :) I'd still enjoy seeing those diesels though

My family & I visited the WSR last summer and really enjoyed it. Hope to get back there again some day. (We live in Canada but visit my wife's parents & family every 18 months or so.)

Rob

I should have added that I liked the shots from the Gala at the WSR. The diesels did look in good running order, but I'm not a fan of the full yellow front on the Warships. It looked as if the trip was worth it.

• RMweb Premium

I should have added that I liked the shots from the Gala at the WSR. The diesels did look in good running order, but I'm not a fan of the full yellow front on the Warships. It looked as if the trip was worth it.

The trip was definitely worth it, but I have to agree about the full yellow ends it makes the front end look too bulbous, the small yellow panel sits much better to my untrained eye.

Archived