Heljan Class 17 problem

mcjlf1

Hi All,

I recently took delivery of a Heljan Class 17 at a bargain price from one of the well known retailers.

Upon commencing trial running it initially wouldn't move at all, but after some persuasion I got it going in one direction.  It seems that there is an issue whereby it runs fine in one direction, but not in the other (on conventional DC).  In the 'problem' direction it will crawl at dead slow speed for a few seconds until the controller trips out on short circuit.   

Before I either open it up and/or contact the retailer, I was just interested if anybody else had experience such an issue and if there was a simple solution?

Thanks in advance

James

A go slow in one direction only tends to be a physical deficiency in my experience - usually related to pick up issues or gearing. If the controller is tripping then its likely you have a big strain leading to a big draw on amps. If i'd forked out that kind of money for something built by a manufacturer with the usual consumer protections i'd contact the seller and request they act. 

The only practical approach otherwise is step by step exam through the motion and current chains to id the issue. 

Good luck. 

• Informative/Useful 1