Lima EW I B SBB to BN conversion

Swissrail

• 2 weeks later...

Here they are, finally finished today. I'm very happy with them; the Lima shells are terrific to work on and when the interiors are fully painted and the paintwork weathered, they come up as reality in miniature much more than the original models ever did.

214311077_BLSAB.JPG.0c718b83c3e097f7c1b76d543bc4f241.JPG

1709035631_BTAB.JPG.71c6e51150c44bc972573e73e29a5661.JPG

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

I've now painted in the seam between the doors, the gaskets round the windows and the door handles. I'm not entirely happy with it; the seam is okay but getting a consistent line round the windows was very difficult. From a normal viewing distance it appears to work but I'll have to come up with a better way of doing it. It might involve painting the gaskets and seams in black first and them masking them off before the rest of the door is painted in silver or brass.

Update: I've done the BLS and BN vehicles' doors with the Bob Moore lining pen's fine head which fits perfectly into the groove where the seam is. Far quicker and much more accurate than a fine paintbrush.

JPG01925.JPG.e0d7958e06ae207c048ea0990d83f08a.JPG

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 2

This is next on the workbench by way of a change from repainting EW I's and a bit more up to date this time:

1296163591_LiliputEWIIIRestaurant.jpg.a4ae653acb845fcd7268ad0335fbe4a5.jpg

A Liliput EW III Restaurant in the, I have to admit, fairly gaudy two tone violet and grey livery a few of these carriages wore. I would normally have repainted this into the original Swiss Expres orange and grey of the 1970s but I have another one these in that livery which I intend to add to my LS Models eight car Swiss Express set which is presently on order. This therefore is an experiment to see if upgrading this model will be a decent match for the LS models vehicles. It has already had a new pantograph fitted as the original Liliput one was overscale and pretty awful. This one is a modified Sommerfeldt with a scale width bow fitted. The main stumbling block to realism in this model however is the windows. They have no frames whereas the prototypes had quite prominent polished aluminium ones as seen below:

1646812833_EWIIIRestaurantweathering.JPG.4277a0c3a8ab12a6a60dcb931580abdd.JPG

This picture will also serve as the prototype for the weathering scheme once the upgrade has been done. I originally toyed with the idea of having the frames etched in stainless steel but it was prohibitively expensive and fixing them to the bodyside was never going to be easy. I then discovered that Railtec could do 3D transfers so I contacted Steve to ask if it was possible to create what I was after. He told me it was so I set about doing the artwork for them. Steve has done his usual amazing job and the frames are just beautiful and at 0.25mm thick, just about right for the representation of what the real thing carried.

Once I'm back from Wengen in about ten days, I'll get to work on this beast.

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 1