Modeller friendly loco and coaching stock books for LNWR and MR?

Guest WM183

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, WM183 said:

The Lacy and Down Midland carriage volumes are available on eBay, but the seller said shipping will be 25 or so pounds. Are the books uncommon? This is for both books, but once i pay import fees and all this will work out to like 60 euros. What do?

There seems to be a small but steady supply available second-hand - look also on second-hand bookshop sites as well as the dreaded Amazon. Prices for individual volumes do seem to be in the £30 - £45 range. But I would say that both volumes are essential for anyone taking a serious interest in modelling the Midland. Once bought, never regretted! (I bought my copies when they were hot off the press in 1986. They've not quite reached the state of my copy of the two volumes of Essery's Midland Wagons, published and bought six years earlier - I may soon have to buy replacements!)

The single volume by Jenkinson is a good introduction but once you have that side-by-side with Lacy & Dow you'll find yourself reaching for the latter first.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have received the Millard book on 30' 1" 6-wheeled LNWR coaches, and it is just what I had hoped for. However, I wonder why the drawings within are at 8mm/foot, and not 7mm.

Regardless, a great volume! I plan to get the one on the bogie stock as soon as I can find it. I have a copy of "Midland Locomotive Profiles-1833 and 2228 Bogie Passenger Tanks" by James, Hunt, and Essery on the way, as well as a copy of "An Illustrated history of LNWR Engines" by Talbot en route. I am going to add the Midland 0-6-0T book and 4-4-0 book as well, soon - I have one on the Class 3 belpaire goods engines already. I shall seek out Lacy & Dow's 2 volumes for Midland's coaches, and I should be off and running. 

Philip Millard's L&NWR Non -Corridor Carriages is still available from the LNWRS at half cover price, i.e. £15. This is the same as  a s/h copies on Abebooks, a division of Amazon or £10 cheaper than on Ebay. I know where I would buy from.

• Like 2

Oh! I'll get it from the Lnwr society for sure. I hope shipping to Holland isn't an issue. I need to get the 3 volume Lnwr wagons books too though I believe those are not through the society?