London Tilbury & Southend Railway carriage

Don't know if any of you erudite pregrouping people can help me with a question posed by a friend.  For the centenary of the Tilbury line in 1956, the 4-4-2T "Thundersley" was restored to its pre-Midland condition and used on special train(s).  It survives and is now on display at Bressingham, although not in running order.

At the same time, an ex-LT&SR carriage (I believe No 283, built by Cravens in 1910) was also restored to its original livery and also used on special trains.  This carriage disappeared from public view quickly and doesn't appear to survive.

My friend believes it was badly damaged in a shunting accident, possibly in 1957, and was subsequently broken up.  There's an unconfirmed sighting of the remains at Stratford Works in 1963.  Does anyone happen to have the details of its disposal, to confirm whether this sighting would have been possible or not?

Kind regards,

Tom, Staplehurst

There are a number of photographs of the GER W&U tram carriage and LTSR carriage at Stratford Works. I was told many years ago by a Stratford Works employee that both carriages were cut up by mistake, no mention of shunting incident. 

Paul

Photo taken at Stratford by my friend Dennis Seabrook, of GER No. 8 and you can just see the LTSR carriage to the right. He did photograph that as well, but my interest was GER!

There were "stories" circulating, that "do not cut" was painted on one side only of both carriages and the gang sent to cut-up various wagons and carriages in the yard, didn't see the notice, but don't quote that as "gospel".

The other photo is of the special was taken by another friend, Brian Pask and you can just see the LTSR carriage behind the loco.

Paul

GER No 8 at Stratford. D. Seabrook.jpg

BP075-01(1).jpg

• Like 4