Pentir Rhiw

puck

9 hours ago, puck said:

Hi. I’ve read a magazine article featuring a model of Pentir Rhiw station but cannot for the life of me remember which magazine or edition. I’m hoping someone may enlighten me? Thanks. Andy

Andy,

All I can find is a layout called Llanmarth (Pant Mawr Yard) that includes Pentir Rhiw in it's 'location map'. That was in Railway Modeller September 2002. I can PM you the article if necessary.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Island platform and a refuge siding, water, and according to legend, the signalmen had to be changed every few weeks before the isolation got to them and they went a bit, um, 'funny'.  Even more 'funny' than normal signalmen, I mean...

This was conveniently half way up the '5 mile bank', and the refuge siding was orientated to take trains ascending and needing a respite.  Despite the name, there is no village nearby, only a couple of very isolated hill farms, and passenger traffic was not exactly at Waterloo density, even the Waterloo near Caerphilly.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Ian (ISW) 

Thanks for reply. It’s definitely not in Railway Modeller having gone through their entire back issues. I think it’s more likely BRM or Hornby. I read it on Readly app a few months back but the number of issues available to me has shrunk. 
Andy

Edited by puck
Spelling

• RMweb Gold

That’s a pretty good interpretation of the place; a very minor criticism might be that the backscene doesn’t quite convey the way that Tor y Foel looms oppressively above the eastern side of the station , but that’s carping!  Good price as well!

One would need a fairly extensive fiddle yard to represent the traffic through here; Newport-Brecon passenger, mineral, through and pickup goods, the daily double headed panniers Murgatroyds chlorine tanks and return empties, a cattle special for Brecon market.  Locos for the 50s will be 57xx, 8750, Dean Goods, 2251, Ivatt and BR standard 2MT moguls.  Gangwayed GW designed coaching stock for the Newports. 

Hi guys,

There was a 2 page article on Pentir Rhiw in the Dec 2008 edition of Railway Modeller.

Includes track plan, signal box diagram and photos. 

Really atmospheric. With just a one coach length platform plus a signal box and lamp room   I've often been tempted to build it as a 7mm diorama / photo plank.

regards 

Ian