Mont Blanc Express to Martigny in 1998.

Evening All,

Part Two of my 1998 trip on the Mont Blanc Express is now on YouTube.  It covers the journey down to the Rhône Valley to Martigny:

Part One is here if you missed it:  

TTFN,

Ron.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for those clips Ron. They bring back a few memories - in 1975 (I think) I went on a school trip to Les Marécottes. In those days the Swiss part was just called the Martigny-Châtelard-Chamonix, with red and cream livery - the older railcars and trailers in your clips. I guess the French part was just branded SNCF at that time, and I suspect you had to change at Chamonix for onward travel.

I can recall seeing an old railcar down in the valley one day (the hotel was way above the railway), pulling a few 2-axle wagons with milk churns, rather like the old Eggerbahn wagons.

But memory plays tricks - until I watched your pictures I thought that the ascent started immediately after leaving Martigny.

ĸen

On 20/11/2021 at 02:08, zarniwhoop said:

. In those days the Swiss part was just called the Martigny-Châtelard-Chamonix, with red and cream livery - the older railcars and trailers in your clips. I guess the French part was just branded SNCF at that time, and I suspect you had to change at Chamonix for onward travel.

or even just Martigny - Chatelard, although the 'Hollywood' type sign on the hillside read Martigny - Chamonix. In fact most train changes took place at Vallorcine. The 'frontier' between the two administrations being between Le Chatelard and Vallorcine

Edited by Gordonwis

On 20/11/2021 at 02:08, zarniwhoop said:

Thanks for those clips Ron. They bring back a few memories - in 1975 (I think) I went on a school trip to Les Marécottes. In those days the Swiss part was just called the Martigny-Châtelard-Chamonix, with red and cream livery - the older railcars and trailers in your clips. I guess the French part was just branded SNCF at that time, and I suspect you had to change at Chamonix for onward travel.

I can recall seeing an old railcar down in the valley one day (the hotel was way above the railway), pulling a few 2-axle wagons with milk churns, rather like the old Eggerbahn wagons.

But memory plays tricks - until I watched your pictures I thought that the ascent started immediately after leaving Martigny.

ĸen

On that occasion it was a through train in both directions, so no changes were needed.  On another occasion though, we did have to change at Le Châtelard Frontière.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just put a short two minute video on YouTube that I shot at Le Châtelard if anyone would like to have a look (and apologies in advance for the mis-spelling of Valais!  Once I've hit save I can't go back and amend any errors.)

TTFN,

Ron.

Edited by 45669
  • Like 2