RMweb

Digitrax Decoder Speed Steps

Wagonmaster

I have bought a Digitrax DZ123 decoder to fit in a limited space in a small locomotive. The decoder works fine,  but have an interesting problem.

Unlike the other Digitrax decoders I have used, this one is operating in 128 speed step mode. Reading the documentations, it seems that the DZ123 is shipped like this. I would like to change this to 28 speed step mode but can't seem to find out how to do it.

Does anyone know how to change the speed step settings at all? Any help much appreciated.

The difference from 28 to 128 is set in the command station or throttle.   The decoder just receives speed packets, and should correctly interpret them as 28 or 128 step appropriately.   There is no setting in a decoder for 28 vs 128 steps.   So, make the setting change in your system/throttle.  

Whether this fixes the DZ213, I don't know.   Its an ancient decoder, and it can be problematic with some newer systems which have a RailCom signal on the track.       

- Nigel

• Thanks 1

Thanks Nigel, I was hoping you might pick this up. I was getting the impression it was the base station rather than the decoder. The decoder might be an old design, but I've always had good reliable results from Digitrax, especially for the money!

The reason I asked is that when I put my other locos on the track, they are 28 step! This particular one comes up as 128 step! I am using a Lenz LH-100, which means a lot of button pressing to get it to move in comparison to everything else. Puzzling!

Steve

1 hour ago, Wagonmaster said:

Thanks Nigel, I was hoping you might pick this up. I was getting the impression it was the base station rather than the decoder. The decoder might be an old design, but I've always had good reliable results from Digitrax, especially for the money!

The reason I asked is that when I put my other locos on the track, they are 28 step! This particular one comes up as 128 step! I am using a Lenz LH-100, which means a lot of button pressing to get it to move in comparison to everything else. Puzzling!

Steve

It is a setting in your LH100.   Many Lenz settings are "per loco address", so a given throttle can be different for different locos. 

Pages 26/27 of the LH100 manual on how to change it. 

- Nigel

8 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

It is a setting in your LH100.   Many Lenz settings are "per loco address", so a given throttle can be different for different locos. 

Pages 26/27 of the LH100 manual on how to change it. 

- Nigel

Yes, found it and managed to change it to 28 speed steps. How it got to 128 steps I don't know! Much better now and consistent with the other stock.

I have v3.6 firmware on my Lenz system, so the manual pages are different to what you suggested, as is the way it's changed over the v3 firmware. No problem though, the issue was solved thanks to your suggested cause. Many thanks for that, much appreciated.

Steve