Faulty decoder?

Joeh260

I have a Bachmann class 25 which is fitted with a gaugemaster 8 pin dcc decoder. It has worked like normal over the past few years although after not being used for about 2 years I believe the decoder has become defective.

The problem with it is once the loco has been selected and the speed is increased it moves forward about 2 inches then stops and repeats this until its stopped on the controller.

I don't think it is the loco as it runs perfectly fine without it but I don't have a spare decoder to test if this is the case.

Any suggestions or fixes?

1 minute ago, WIMorrison said:

Does sound like the decoder - assuming it runs perfectly with a blanking plug, and you have serviced the loco after drawing it out from storage  - but I can't imagine why a decoder would stop working because it hasn't been used, most unusual.

Loco runs perfectly with a blanking plate on dc. It has been given a service as I thought that was the initial problem although it did work on dc before servicing.

On 17/11/2021 at 09:49, RAF96 said:

Sounds like the decoder is self protecting due to overload. Even though the loco has been serviced it is worth doing a motor stall current check with the blanking plate fitted (DC mode). 

I’ve just shorted the loco whilst on dc a few times. Now I am confused, I’ve refitted the decoder again it will now run one direction completely fine but just as intermittently like before in the other direction.

22 minutes ago, Joeh260 said:

I’ve just shorted the loco whilst on dc a few times. Now I am confused, I’ve refitted the decoder again it will now run one direction completely fine but just as intermittently like before in the other direction.

Try reversing the decoder direction and see if the opposite happens running the loco the other way..