To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

S Scale in 3D - What's on the Printer

Rob R

Short clip of my Anycubic Filament Printer busy printing Templot plug track in S Scale.   Chairs are subsequently printed on a resin printer.  I could print more than two pieces at once but the print time just gets extended.  Typically it takes a couple of hours a section.   The printer runs warm, so I like to be around the workshop when it is running hence not running the printer for hours on end.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Track work is looking good. I am soon to start doing some em track as ingot a resin printer for Christmas and already have an fdm as well. Like you I will need to paint the bases but I am also thinking of painting the chairs whilst still on the production bed once detached from the machine.

Keith

• Thanks 1

In answer to a question raised on Templot forum.  The baseboards came with some nice wooden dowels but I replaced with 3D printed.   M6 bolts go through the Dowels.

I printed some extra large wing nuts so I can quickly dismantle the boards without using a spanner...nuts and bolts just slot in.

Screenshot 2024-02-04 183126.png

Screenshot 2024-02-04 183713  2.png

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/01/2024 at 09:34, KeithHC said:

I am also thinking of painting the chairs whilst still on the production bed once detached from the machine.

@KeithHC

Hi Keith,

If you are intending to use the loose outer jaws in Templot plug track, that's not really recommended. The paint will tend to clog the tiny slots for the loose jaws and make fitting them difficult. Masking the slots would be tricky, although could be done with a set of scrap loose jaws kept for the purpose -- very tedious to insert and remove them all.

cheers,

Martin.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rob - these look impressive in the photo but even more impressive in the flesh.   Great to see them at our AGM yesterday.  They really are very fine detail.

Timber,

It's the resin that does the work (and Tinkercad).

Elegoo Water Washable Transclucent, 50/50 (ish) mix of red and green to get the gungy brown colour.

• Like 1

Rob,

Thats either very modest statement or you’ll have teach me your design method, I must be doing something wrong, it takes me weeks to produce a model 😉

Don't worry, it takes me weeks as well.

It helped that 5 out of the 6 wagon types are related so it was just a bit of "cut and paste".

The next one I do, I'll try to log the time spent drawing (GER Diagram 16 5 plank open - by popular request at the agm).

• Like 1