16mm NG wheels

Ref44

• RMweb Premium

Having been browsing for some time, I felt it was time to contribute; hopeflly this will work

Like many others, I fell for the atmosphere of the Slate Museum at Dinorwic on a family holiday in the mid 70's. Over the years I have made various attempts to model a quarry scene.

Having retired, I determined to finish some of the kits I have collected. Needing somewhere to run them, I have started an Inglenook plank as a test bed. One thing I want to do is run my Slaters Dinorwic wagons with double flanged wheels. A suitable turnout is being built

post-4945-12765110089.jpg post-4945-127651146627.jpg

However!! trying a slate wagon (a David Smith original prior to the range going to Slaters) on my Tenmille track gave this result

post-4945-127651148589.jpg

It looks as if all track will have to be hand built as the Dinorwic wagons won't fit onto 32mm gauge track. I know the prototype gauge should be 30mm, but I suspect that this will be too tight for the loco wheels, so am looking to use 31mm.

Has anyone else experimented with this?

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Will follow this with interest as I too would like to make proper stub points for double flangers.

I have only built a couple of the single flange version of the Dinorwic slate wagon.

So I am suprised to see the issue you have.

Is it worth contacting Slaters, I have spoken to Dave Smith there a couple of times and is very helpful.

Maybe its ok with the Slaters versions now, but even so, the older one should still run on 32mm.

Making these wagons, there is little to go wrong in gauging them as its all predefined where the axle boxes go.

• RMweb Premium

Gary,

The Slater's version is the same

post-4945-127652006675.jpg

As you can see there is no scope to widen the wheel spacing. I don't have a set of single flanged wheels (I'll have to get some) but from the photo's I've seen on this site, the outside of the rim sits on the rail rather than overhanging it, which it would have to do to allow space for the secong flange. Like you, my understanding of the double flange is that the wheel can move laterally to accommodate any variation in track gauge.

Is it a case that we are using the wrong rail section?

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

I have only run mine (single flange) on standard O gauge track and not true 32mm NG track.

I shall try and find my wagons tonight and take a picture with measurements underneath and

see if that throws any light on it.

First indications though maybe point to the track, I would be suprised if the wagon was wrong

after them being issued for a few years now with no other concerns raised that I know of.

Garry

• RMweb Premium

This morning I made a short length of track to 31mm gauge, and tried the wagons.

post-4945-127660584177.jpg

post-4945-127660586612.jpg

As can be seen there is a diffrence between the two wagons, the newer Slater's version won't fit. It is about 1.5mm narrower than the earlier resin model. Looking closely at the moulding there is significant distortion along the body, it being narrower across the middle tha it is at the ends. I've ordered another example to see if I have a dodgy moulding.

• RMweb Gold

They are nice models, and I admire your efforts with the Fothergill switches, I've been threatening to make up some in 7/8ths.

I suspect that part of the problem is that the wagon being a scale model is too narrow for the proper double flanged wheels to fit because as I recall the Dinorwic was 1'10(and a bit)" which works out at around 29mm gauge. Now it you were running on that gauge (judging by the photos) your wheels would fit.

Sadly when we model our models become full of compromise despite our best intentions.

Out of interest, are your wheels loose on the axles to allow for variations in gauge in the quarry?

Regards

Richard

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to quick processing by Slater's I now have another wagon. The latest version is a plastic injection moulding compared to the previous resin one. Having set up the wheels, the new version will accommodate 32mm gauge. I've stripped the older model and will post some photos, as the body has suffered serious distortion. It is older than I thought. The instructions for the new kit are dated 2006! I must finish some models.

I agree that 32mm is too wide. The wheels are rigidly mounted on stub axles, but there is a little bit of play between the bearings. The real issue is with loco wheels, a 28mm back to back plus flange thickness gives no play on 30mm gauge, which is why I favour 31mm.

As an aside, does anyone have any dimensions for Fothergill trackwork, ie length of stubs, crossing angle etc? There doesn't seem to be much by way of published info

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Having constructed the new wagon, I've tried it on my test plank. It works on 32mm gauge, and navigates my trial turnout. My plans for a small quarry diorama are back on.

post-4945-127789221554.jpg

There are some design issues to resolve re the stub turnout, but I'm confident a suitable scheme can be worked out.

Archived