Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby R878 Class 25 - DCC fitted - poor running

ctpl

I am currently creating a new layout using DCC - my retirement project. I have fitted a decoder to my Hornby R878 D5206, cleaned the wheels and lubricated the gears, etc. (it has not run for 20 years!). It is a poor runner and regularly stalls over points (Peco insul frogs) and occasionally on straight track (which has been cleaned). New locos and an old Lima Class 40 all run beautifully. 

The model appears to have a pick ups on only one side of the bogies. Any suggestions to improve the running of this loco much appreciated.

I would firstly remove the decoder and get it running correctly on DC by cleaning all wheels (running surface and pickup surface), clean the pickups, check the motor brushes and commutator and then lightly oil all bearings.

Once it is running well on DC then refit the decoder and see how it runs - you may need to change parameters on the decoder but as you don't say which decoder you have we can't say which to change - but it MUST run well on DC before you can hope to make it run on DCC

• Agree 2

Thank you for your comments - I will investigate your kind suggestions and report back; I need to borrow a DC controller! I am using an NCE power cab DCC controller.

I have since found a post where additional pick ups were fitted to the bogies.