Black Jubilees

According to “The Jubilee 4-6-0s” by Ray Townsin, only 3 Jubilees ever carried that combination of lined black livery and the first BR emblem - 45679, 45699 and 45700. Over 40 others got lined black with ‘BRITISH RAILWAYS’ on the tender.

45679 and 45699 were shedded at Midland line sheds while in that colour scheme, but 45699 had a Stanier tender then. 45679 had a Fowler one.

So it looks like 45679 is your only possibility. (Unless you’re prepared to change the tender emblem.) It was at Millhouses from May 1946 to February 1952, then at Barrow Road till August 1952. 

There is a picture of 45679 in lined black, with the early emblem and a Fowler tender in ‘The Book of the Jubilee 4-6-0s’ ed. Chris Hawkins.

(I’m sure someone will check my working on this :P.)

P.S. I didn’t check that 45679 and 45700 matched in all their other details!

Edited by pH
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, snowy1051 said:

Where, please, would I find details of the 40 or so with BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tender, as that is the era I am modelling?

I think the easiest way (though not the cheapest) would be to get hold of the two books I mentioned in my post :P.

However, since I already have these books, I’ll suggest something else:

- if you have a particular engine in mind, give me the number and I’ll see if it fits (lined black, ‘BRITISH RAILWAYS’ on the tender, Fowler tender)

- or, if you give me a particular shed and dates, I can look up the allocation of Jubilees on that shed at that time on the ‘BR Database’ website and check which, if any, fit the requirements.

Let me know.