Trash to Track OO restorations.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all.

Heres a special magical Hogwarts restoration to watch if you fancy over the festive period.

Best wishes   to all. 

from now, i’ll be using this one thread and uploading all subsequent videos. 

thanks all. 

Edited by Dan Griffin
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Crane looks great except those massive sticking out handles.  I replaced mine with clock gears so you can still play with it and lift things with it but it round nicely on scale track spacing instead of catching on stuff going the other way.

• Like 1

On 23/02/2022 at 05:08, DCB said:

Crane looks great except those massive sticking out handles.  I replaced mine with clock gears so you can still play with it and lift things with it but it round nicely on scale track spacing instead of catching on stuff going the other way.

any chance of a picture. i was tempted to do this but i couldn't find any reference to how its done. 

regards

Dan

16 hours ago, Dan Griffin said:

any chance of a picture. i was tempted to do this but i couldn't find any reference to how its done. 

regards

Dan

It was done an awful long time ago and its been in the loft for 20 years so its distinctly battered, just look at the soldering! but here it is.  I have owned it for 53years or so from brand new.  There are  flats on the shafts, it uses the original plate springs, tread is black ship rigging and green Meccano.  AFAIK. these are loco gears. If I did it again I think I would use gears with spokes from clocks.DSCN6967.JPG.f00abbcf43c78f07297ca450e6db2081.JPG

DSCN6965.JPG

DSCN6966.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DCB said:

It was done an awful long time ago and its been in the loft for 20 years so its distinctly battered, just look at the soldering! but here it is.  I have owned it for 53years or so from brand new.  There are  flats on the shafts, it uses the original plate springs, tread is black ship rigging and green Meccano.  AFAIK. these are loco gears. If I did it again I think I would use gears with spokes from clocks.DSCN6967.JPG.f00abbcf43c78f07297ca450e6db2081.JPG

DSCN6965.JPG

DSCN6966.JPG

Thank you very much for that. If i did that to mine it would put it back into gauge for the main layout! 

I'm going to look into this and may revisit the crane later and make this adjustment. 

thanks for the pics i appreciate it. 

Dan

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 25/06/2022 at 13:24, Dan Griffin said:

A new episode of Trash to Track is now live, this one features a Dapol Western. 

Fantastic result on the Western. I thought your assessment of the previous owner was very mild and restrained indeed, perhaps not quite what you actually thought!

The varnish disaster is something I've experienced and it is absolutely soul destroying. In my case I airbrushed some Johnson's Kleer onto a Railmatch enamel fininsh, I don't quite know why it happened but it blotched. On a four car green DMU with two complete lining bands round each vehicle, so lots of very bad thoughts and language. Strangely after trying various approaches I found airbrushing Humbrol Enamel Satincote managed to disappear the blotches, this after three years of feeling cross. This isn't obviously the same Humbrol product responsible for your problem.

Our hobby can be very trying, but also enormously satisfying, as when you saw your Western in action in its restored state.

Thanks for the video.

John.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...