Class 40

Toothman

• RMweb Gold

The engine should keep going, in an idle mode, until you turn off the sound, normally by pressing zero(0). (Although I have no experience of NCE, I think that’s the usual key for sound)

Edited by ITG

37 minutes ago, Toothman said:

Thanks to u all :) 

Did you resolve the issue you were experiencing? 

Would be beneficial to others asking the same/similar question as yours.

Edited by leopardml2341

Pressed f2 on nce powercab engine stopped,  would help if I looked at the instructions first that came with the engine. Ps anyone having problems with rails of Sheffield website cant get on it?

Edited by Toothman

Not sure if you are aware, but the F2 key on the Powercab as used for the brake function is a "latching" button, I.e. press to operate and press again to release. The "Horn/Whistle" button replicates the F2 key but is a "momentary" key, i.e. press to operate, release to release, makes braking much easier and more realistic.

Nigel L

2 hours ago, Lemmy282 said:

Not sure if you are aware, but the F2 key on the Powercab as used for the brake function is a "latching" button, I.e. press to operate and press again to release. The "Horn/Whistle" button replicates the F2 key but is a "momentary" key, i.e. press to operate, release to release, makes braking much easier and more realistic.

Nigel L

Surely the function of any 'F' key depends on how it's mapped in the decoder rather than the controlling handset?

I know there are acceoted guidance standards for such things, NMRA etc., but there is no necessity to adhere to these for function mapping if the sound project designer so chooses.

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, leopardml2341 said:

Surely the function of any 'F' key depends on how it's mapped in the decoder rather than the controlling handset?

I know there are acceoted guidance standards for such things, NMRA etc., but there is no necessity to adhere to these for function mapping if the sound project designer so chooses.

On most DCC controllers of US origins (like the Powercab) the function buttons are fixed in terms of whether they are latching or momentary regardless of the decoder.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Absolutely, and the sound decoders (all Zimo) that I have use the F2 key as the brake key. Using the horn/whistle button makes it easier to use the brake. I have used an ESU  decoder from another supplier that had the brake function of F5, which is a latching key, and is not so easy to achieve realistic braking.

4 hours ago, Lemmy282 said:

Absolutely, and the sound decoders (all Zimo) that I have use the F2 key as the brake key. Using the horn/whistle button makes it easier to use the brake. I have used an ESU  decoder from another supplier that had the brake function of F5, which is a latching key, and is not so easy to achieve realistic braking.

You can change things, with function mapping.   But its not "dead easy" for an ESU decoder, so I recommend using software and a computer interface.