Snape Station and Snape Maltings models

annette

This subject was once covered by Iain Rice and Bob Barlow back in the 80s in P4.

was an and to end layout called ‘ The East Suffolk Light Railway’, it featured an excellent model based on the Maltings by Bob Barlow, certainly one of my favourite pieces of inspiration.

A 3 Part Artical featured in the then magazine Model Railways and also in the MRJ.

The branch to Snape was only ever a goods only line and never carried passengers. Wikipedia has a short history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snape_branch_line

There were other passenger and freight branches nearby:

Saxmundham to Aldeburgh (part of which still exists - or did until very recently - due to the nuclear power station).

Wickham Market - Framlingham

Bentley to Hadleigh (goods only from 1932)

Haughley - Laxford (originally Mid Suffolk Light Railway)

Mellis - Eye (also goods only from 1931)

Ipswich - Felixstowe (more mainline in character)

I think that's the lot (but I could be wrong!)

David C

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, David C said:

The branch to Snape was only ever a goods only line and never carried passengers. Wikipedia has a short history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snape_branch_line

There were other passenger and freight branches nearby:

Saxmundham to Aldeburgh (part of which still exists - or did until very recently - due to the nuclear power station).

Wickham Market - Framlingham

Bentley to Hadleigh (goods only from 1932)

Haughley - Laxford (originally Mid Suffolk Light Railway)

Mellis - Eye (also goods only from 1931)

Ipswich - Felixstowe (more mainline in character)

I think that's the lot (but I could be wrong!)

David C

Thank you David - that's very helpful of you!

5 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

I have a layout I constructed with the Grandchildren, based on East Anglian ex GER practise around a Mill, it’s in cameo layouts on here called ‘Rigby Cole Mills.

it may give you some ideas, emphasis on ‘may’ .

Peter A L.

Thank you Peter, I will have a look! That's very kind of you!

• RMweb Premium

Peter Paye wrote an Oxford Library book, No 229, on the Snape Branch. S/H copies are on Amazon at around £9. Worth having I would reckon. If you do a web search, guess you probably have, the images/links provide some nice results if you wade through them, eg v.good model of the Maltings on Nigel Cliffe's blogspot. 

6 hours ago, Izzy said:

Peter Paye wrote an Oxford Library book, No 229, on the Snape Branch. S/H copies are on Amazon at around £9. Worth having I would reckon. If you do a web search, guess you probably have, the images/links provide some nice results if you wade through them, eg v.good model of the Maltings on Nigel Cliffe's blogspot. 

Thank you so much Izzy. Hvae just viewed the amazing model of the Maltings on Nigel Cliffe's blogspot!! I do have the Snape Branch book which is very good. You are kind to suggest these resources! Annette 

• 1 month later...

Might be able to help you slightly Annette. I did a model of Snape Maltings with a 'what if' slant to it.... I imagined that it was worked by diesel shunters until it closed in 1965 (yes, I know it closed before then).... Its now in the possession of Kevin Smith of Harlow MRC. I've attached a couple of pictures... The BTH type 1 was pressed into service at the last minute because both of my shunters had failed that day........

Disgusting of Market Harborough

20141004_143920.jpg

20150509_150355.jpg

20150509_150348.jpg

20170401_155459.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...