The Dessau-Wörlitzer Eisenbahn and a Christmas surprise - the BR 670

rekoboy

In Summer 2019 our friends in Zörbig (Sachsen-Anhalt), who are very accommodating to their railfan pal, suggested a day out in Wörlitz (Wörlitzer Park, stately home and gardens near Dessau) with a trip on the Dessau-Wörlitzer Eisenbahn, thus diplomatically satisfying the cultural urges of Frau Rekoboy and my enthusiasms in one fell swoop. The Dessau-Wörlitzer is a standard gauge single track branch from Dessau Hbf to Oranienbaum and Wörlitz which was a private company until nationalization by the GDR authorities in 1947, had only a Summer service for quite a while, and was about to be abandoned entirely after German reunification until it ended up in the hands of the Dessauer Stadtwerke, operators of the trams, the power and water supplies in Dessau who saw the branch as a useful touristic adjunct to their main businesses. The Stadtwerke operate the line effectively with one vehicle - a railbus of class 670, named 'Fürstin Louise'. Following the collapse of the GDR regime in 1989 the nationally-owned rail vehicle building businesses of the GDR were privatized under the name of Deutsche Waggonbau AG, and fairly soon after bought up by Bombardier and Alstom. During the brief period of independence DWA produced a number of innovative developments in the hope of building up new export business. One such innovation was the lightweight double-deck railbus BR 670 of which 7 were built. Customers such as the DB AG were not really interested and no further railbuses were produced. Of the 7 built, 6 are still in existence, 2 at Dessau in the hands of the Stadtwerke, but only Louise is usable, and the other 'Fürst Franz' is destined to be cannibalized for parts. Although the 670s are on 4 wheels the ride is not bad , and the view from the upper deck front seats is brilliant. When our friend Reinhilde told the driver (who also drives buses and trams for the Stadtwerke) that there was a real-life English railfan on board he told me to to join him in the second-man's seat for the journey back to Dessau. A top day out! With that experience in the background and having enthused to all and sundry about the Dessau-Wörlitzer Eisenbahn I was delighted a few days ago to receive a surprise Christmas gift from our good friends in Brandenburg - namely the BR 670 in TT by Kres. The firm of Kres is part of the Fischer group which includes Gützold. The model is absolutely fantastic - it looks great, with a detailed interior and an array of lighting,  and runs beautifully. My layout is 1960s/1970s GDR - but so what. Someone must have a time machine!

BR 670 Fürstin Louise.jpg

Fürstin Louise und DK.jpg

BR 670 Kirchheim 1.jpg

BR 670 Kirchheim 2.jpg

Edited by rekoboy
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

Try to find one among the many Kato and Tomix chassis on the excellent Plaza Japan website. The chassis on offer are all quoted with dimensions.

www.plazajapan.com

I shall shortly be writing more about my use of Japanese chassis in my TTm trams.

Edited by rekoboy
spelling error
  • Like 1