A south Wales tank?

I'd appreciate some help identifying this kit please.

I acquired this white-metal tank, together with its brass block chassis, quite a while back and from heaven knows where now. Its turn has come around but I would like to know a little more about it before some attempt to complete it is made. I've a feeling that it may be a Rhymney Railway 'R' Class 0-6-2, but I'm really not certain. Can anyone help please?

Also, might it be a Wills kit?

Finally, adjacent to the GWR-style safety valve bonnet is a moulding which looks rather like the original safety valves? I'm guessing that this needs removing, but confirmation would be gratefully received!

51803347288_46dfd3f86c_z.jpg

Many thanks

Tony

At a guess I'd say it was the old Cotswold kit for a Rhymney AR class.They came with a solid milled brass chassis Also it looks like an attempt at a Westinghouse pump on the smokebox,a feature the Rhymney used 

3 hours ago, Prometheus said:

Thanks for that - helpful. Any thoughts about the safety valve issue?

Tony

Dr Frankenstein had a few too many beers!

It should be one type or the other for the safety valves,I imagine the original builder misread the instructions.

Are you going to strip the paint and respray it,as the paint job looks very thickly applied? 

• Agree 1

Absolutely - a good soak in caustic will remove the green icing and probably help dismantle the body, too.  I'll keep the GW bonnet and so should really then remove the Westinghouse equipment. But it'll probably stay because I quite like it. It will need some comprehensive re-plumbing though as , in its current state, it is terrible.

Thanks again.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

On the R and M classes (related with the M having smaller diameter driving wheels for mineral work) the Westinghouse was not replaced with vacuum brakes and the locos used for unfitted freight work only.  The R was very influential on Collett's 56xx design, which can be regarded as a Rhymney R built out of Swindon standard components.  I agree that this is the Cotswold R, and I have one with the body complete for early BR condition but have not made a start on the chassis.  ISTR that at the time I was thinking of using a Mainline 56xx chassis with new wheels, probably just as well I never got started on that abomination!

I might get around to finiishing this and a Nu-Cast TVR A that is in a similar state in the oddznedz drawer, but they are unlikely at Cwmdimbath unless they are through workings from Barry or Dyffryn Yard, and I already have a Barry Standard 3MT tank so more would be stretching things a bit.  Rule 1 and all that, but there are Tondu locos to worry about first, Collett 1938 31xx which I am already engaged in hostilities with, and 44xx.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Deffo the Rhymney, A/R/AR class.  I picked up one of these on the dreaded ebay some time ago as a non runner.  New etched chassis from Branchlines fixed that. Incidentally, it looks like the other excrescences on the fire box  are the tank breathers that have been placed where the whistles should be.  My local chemist supplied me with acetone to dissolve araldite type two part epoxy on a TVR A class, so try that on the Rumbly loco.  

For lots of info about loco kit manufacturers no longer available, there is a book by Robert Forsythe called "A History of Locomotive Kits".  Don't overpay for this!!  All I need to do now, is track down a post I saw this week about a "Cotswold" L & Y kit  for an 062 loco.

• Thanks 1