MICA B Van - end-roof handrail

I built, painted and lettered a rake of three Parkside Mica B (Dia X7) vans last year and they now really need finishing. 

However I’m stumped when it comes to forming the end-roof handrails; they’re a total nightmare to fashion as there are so many kinks and curves to the rail that I’ve tried and given up numerous times rather than complete the vans! 

So please, are there any benevolent RMWebbers who are skilled in the ways of GWR van end-roof handrail fashioning? 

Otherwise the Micas will be permanently on ice (sorry). 

Cheers

CoY

Been their and found the instructions wanting as well, But after haveing various attempts frustrate me I bought a old Hornby dublo mica for two quid at a toy fair, removed the end Hand rails from one end of that and used them as patterns to bend mine to as the ones on the HD are a bit thick, later plonked the HD micas on a ratio ten foot chassis to make use of them but keep them away from the kits

Edited by Graham456
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

agreed they are a total nightmare, fine needle nose pliers are the key and a city & guilds part 3 in sheet metal work can help, plus 11 years of building the harrier. I did consider scaling up the drawing, but it's so out of scale, best way is to start at the middle and work your way out.

MicaB_17.jpg.9f5253e0d30338d15a003de9fbdd6efe.jpg

MicaB_20.jpg.e2ba9a9a9676a3967bf850e6f4e642ef.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

You have my sympathy.

I built a Mica last year and had a go at doing my best with some wire. Individually they look OK but not side-by-side - I can't get more than one the same shape!

It's the same with about 20 (mostly Comet) coaches that I have built, every one is lacking the end / roof handrails until I decide how to go forward. Some sort of jig and stiff wire is probably going to be needed but if there was a samller supplier out there that could already turn them out I would be in the market.

Perhaps I ought to enquire if MSE / Wizard would be prepared to add them to their range...

• 2 weeks later...

Of no help to you I’m afraid, but I remember reading a review for this kit in the Muddler and the only real criticism was the difficulty which modellers would experience when forming the handrails. For that reason, I renovated a rake of Wrenn Micas, flawed, I know, but en masse fairly convincing!

Tony

image.jpeg.a9edf100222df3b7fab3a34c9e41ce37.jpeg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I have 3 recently completed Micas awaiting painting, an X7 and an X8 from the Parkside kits, and an X9 which is a Wrenn body with the vents filed off on a Ratio 10' wb underframe (so a Mica A). The only thing trickier than the end handrails was the DC3 brake gear. I struggled with the handrails but semi-cracked it eventually, although no 2 are exactly the same!  @CoY if you are still wanting some made up, I don't mind making up a pair that you could then use as a pattern? 

IMG_9166.JPG

IMG_9167.JPG

IMG_9168.JPG

Edited by scratcher
Correction
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, scratcher said:

whether the metal steps on the van ends were painted black or white?

Both... Treads were black both sides & the vertical part was white. The curved handrail(s) were black, apart from the feet, which were white.

Source: RWA Fig. 206 - Tevan 105804, c.1938; Wagons & Loads Fig. 111 - Vent-Insul-Meat 59828 c.1941, Fig. 112 - Insul-Meat 105829 c.1941.

One interesting feature of these photos is that the wheels and the vacuum pipe are quite clearly a darker shade than the chassis (RWA Figs 204 & 206 are the clearest).

So were the underframes painted grey? @Miss Prism

The Atkins et al Bible describes plates 581 and 584 (an X2) as having black underframes. The rest of the X diagram chapter is curiously silent about underframe colour for the white-bodied vehicles, but their underframes in the pics look a bit 'grey' to me.

• 1 month later...