Ian's Accidental FR Rolling Stock thread

MrTea

• RMweb Premium

Managed to squeeze in a bit of modelling whilst on holiday on Sunday. It was a soggy day here in the Lake District so I took some time to complete the roof on the engine shed I’m building from a Scalescenes kit:

IMG_3415.jpeg.7d95954740867164c92b7f03f8c39502.jpeg

This is the R029 009 Structure set. I built the water tower first and that seemed to go together quite well. 

I’ve been building the loco shed a few steps at a time during the evenings in the last month or so. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Finally got round to completing Carriage 10 / Van 2 tonight:

IMG_3791.jpeg.4f4294d41c9fdf7adfa8692a606e5d3f.jpeg

I started this about 6 months ago and got as far as assembling the body and painting it green. It’s a Dundas DM59 kit built pretty much as per the instructions. I tried spray painting the body this time and it went ok but I’m not 100% happy with the finish - it’s a bit bright compared to photos of the prototype I’ve found and the final coat ended up thicker than I really wanted. 

However, this week I finally plucked up the courage to tackle the glazing. That was ‘interesting’. I’m not sure I believe the instructions about the size of the glazing you need to cut - it always seemed to need a fraction of a mm removing to make it fit the gaps in the frames. And there was a certain amount of cursing when I got glue on the middle of some of the panes when trying to manoeuvre them into position. 

Having competed the glazing to a reasonable standard (it’s ok if you don’t look too close) tonight’s job was to complete the paintwork and fit the roof and bogies. I found that the couplers I’d fitted (Bachmann using styrene strip extensions on the bogies) fouled the underside of the chassis and made the inner pair of wheels lose contact with the rail. So I added a styrene strip shim to the bogie mounts, which seems to have done the trick. I was worried that the vehicle would ride too high on the bogies but it looks ok to my eyes. 

The vehicle needs some minimal lettering and then I’ll have to see what to do about varnishing and maybe some light weathering. But it should be a useful addition to the fleet. 

• Like 3