Remagnetising needed for K's 5 pole motor

Virgil

Hi:

I have a K's kit tank loco powered with a 5 pole K's motor similar to the Mk 1 and Mk 2 designs but with one magnet at the commutator end and a shaft bearing bracket at the other. The motor is running hot and drawing a lot of current and clearly has a weak magnet.

I would appreciate any info on having the motor remagnetised and an idea of the likely cost involved.

Thanks.

It's a bit awkward remagnetising the K's motors  due to the way the magnets are held in, self tapping screws or glue. They come apart easily enough but getting them back together successfully is more difficult. I scrapped several K's motors when they came unglued and I reused the (5 pole) armatures in Triang X04s 

The motor you describe would appear to be the last iteration of the K's type that originally had two magnets. You don't have to remove the pole pieces re-magnetise, and if you possessed a re-magnetiser it could be done. That said, other than preserving that original model you may not find the expense and effort justified.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/01/2022 at 18:00, Virgil said:

Thanks for that, the motor magnets are glued, how do you get them apart?

Hammer or screwdriver?  Either will do because its not so much  putting it back together as making it stay together that defeats me.  Original Araldite cured for 24 hours might do it   That said if you can remag them without dismantling they are good motors, better than a lot of more modern smaller open frame ones. With the flywheel fitted they are the equal of anything I have come across RTR.  We replaced a K's Mk 2 in a K's 28XX with  Anchoridge motors, it burned out two in succession   before we gave up and fitted another K's motor.  They were fine for running up and down a test track light engine but hang 20 wagons on the drawbar and they trailed smoke and died.   The problems I had were finding brush springs but the temptation to shorten the armatures to fit X04s became irresistible. The K's locos suffered from poorly designed wheels and narrow worm wheels  which meant most needed 2ft minimum radius unless you ran without centre flanges.

Edited by DCB
  • Like 1