Modelling the North Eastern Railway in EM gauge

Riverside

I think that the closest I have seen are from Vallejo in their "Game Air" range 

spacer.pngspacer.png

The more yellow- shade is called "Light Livery Green" and the less vibrant colour "Scorpy Green". As the name suggests these are thinned for use straight in an airbrush. There is a hairy stick version of "Scorpy Green" in the Vallejo Game Color range. Worth a try as they are reasonably priced at around £3 a go. They will dry a matt/semi-matt finish so you will need to apply a gloss varnish if you want that "just out of the paint shop" look.

The NER colour was dubbed "Saxony Green" but the colour seems to have varied considerably even though it was "standardised" by TW Worsdell in 1880-something, the Darlington green being more yellow than Gateshead (or possibly vice versa and no one seems to know about York!). As ever with Pre-Grouping liveries even paint chips are unlikely to be a reliable guide. I think these two are a pretty decent approximation, they will be reliant on the undercoat you use and if you use white, grey, red oxide or black you will get different tones. I believe historically the undercoat/primer would have been a red-oxide and that would give a more brownish tinge to the finish which some seem to think is correct? 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Lovely models, thanks for posting. Useful to see them built too, as I have them in my pile for future use. they have a lot of interesting detail, don't they - they look even more interesting there than any other photos I've seen.

• Like 1

Yes - these Stores Vans grew on me. At first I thought they would be rather uninteresting but I now find them fascinating. The build took longer than anticipated due to the number of handrails, gas pipes etc. All I need now is an elderly passenger loco to haul the train. Perhaps I'll get on with that D22 test build this year.

• Like 1