De-Icing Trains

Hopefully this topic doesn't duplicate any previous threads in this forum.  (I had considered adding to "2021 RHTT Season", but it's neither RHTT nor 2021!).

De-icing trains have been a feature on the Southern and London Underground networks for many years - usually through conversion of e.m.u. stock.

Last week, I took the opportunity to photograph a de-icing train operated by GB Railfreight out of Tonbridge West Yard.  There are several paths for such trains, those that actually run generally being overnight/early morning in the hours of darkness.  However there was a run during daylight (or what passes as such this time of the year) on at least a couple of days last week.

Similar to an RHTT working, the train consists of two YXA flat wagons with de-icing modules, topped and tailed by locomotives.  Unfortunately I missed the working last Wednesday (5th January) when the train was worked in daylight by 69002 and 69003 (which also worked a shorter trip in darkness on Thursday and Saturday mornings).  Although the train passed through Clapham Junction and made two visits to London Victoria, the suspension of Southern passenger services and related closure of platform access presented something of a challenge coming from "north of the river".  Anyway, plans were laid around a five-minute stop and reversal at Wimbledon.

Here then is the 3Y07 08:15 Tonbridge West Yard, made up of 66794 + YXA 99 70 9594 021-6 + YXA 99 70 9549 016-6 + 66720, at Wimbledon on 6th January.

_3G5A4698.JPG.a6f24861e4cd7fb81a5222f6736b538a.JPG

_3G5A4695.JPG.f31b792c9a9369bf05681bb58ede4b30.JPG 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2