beginner layout help

zilog

Hi all, very new to the hobby (although did have a simple double-oval loop when I was a lad) and have recently been given the Hornby Flying Scotsman set and picked up a few additional sets of tracks for the trackmat, and a couple of extra locos. Been fun playing about with it but it's time to start creating a "proper" layout. To be honest I have no special interest in trains so my knowledge of prototypical operations is virtually non-existent! I'm not overly bothered about this aspect although some semblance towards realism would be nice, the priority is towards having interesting things to do with the layout... my other hobbies include electronics, automation & making things so I'm very interested in any overlap between those and this hobby! 

The prerequisites for the layout (for no particular reason) include: main continuous loop, double station platforms, some kind of bridge/flyover and some possibility for goods/shunting/manoeuvring etc - in as small an area as possible. (This isn't absolutely to do with lack of space, as the garage where this will be stored is quite large, but there's lot's of other stuff in there too and I think if I can keep it as small as possible that will give me the best chance of getting the layout "finished" i.e. all areas filled in with basic scenery, in a reasonable time-frame)

I've got hold of a couple of CJ Freezer books as recommended and have been looking over them for the past few days & playing around with layout plans. Most of the smaller layouts seem to involve lots of R1 curves but I found by stretching the layout vertically from 4' to 5' I was able to have everything minimum R2 which I think will be fine (actually, I was also able to shrink the layout horizontally from 8' to 7' without making the curves any tighter!). So this is my provisional 7' x 5' layout based on SP10 from the "Small Layouts" book.

I haven't quite worked out which bits of track will be what height yet to take into account the bridge, also I'm not sure what to do with the goods-shed area bottom right nor the points coming off to the left after the bridge - which will probably be on a hill - some kind of farm or other industry? Have no idea though what sort of arrangement of points/tracks etc would be beneficial for realism/interest in terms of shunting etc so would appreciate some input in this regard! Also have absolutely no idea about placement of signals etc.

Any thoughts?

layout.jpg

19 minutes ago, zilog said:

my other hobbies include electronics, automation & making things so I'm very interested in any overlap between those and this hobby! 

If you haven't already, start reading up on DCC - you can do a lot with that with regard to automation.

21 minutes ago, zilog said:

I'm not sure what to do with... the points coming off to the left after the bridge - which will probably be on a hill - some kind of farm or other industry?

You could have a farm with a cattle dock, I suppose.

How about some sort of mine? It really depends on what the rest of the scenery is going to be around that area.

One observation - unless you're only going to use small industrial-type locomotives, the head for the run-around bottom left looks a bit short.

Thanks. DCC was already on my radar as I randomly came across and read through the DCC++ documentation via an electronics hobby website a few years back. I actually had all the bits in my spares box to build a DIY DCC controller so managed to do that on Boxing Day while all the shops were shut! Have since converted the Flying Scotsman to DCC with a sound decoder but not the other 2 locos yet. The potential with this stuff is something I find really interesting!

I like the idea of a mine as that gives potentially to have some kind of device to load cargo automatically. Yes, the run-around (had to google that as I didn't know what it was called!) probably is a bit short, that was a last-minute addition suggested by my dad who's a bit of a train buff (although he doesn't have any model railways) so I haven't given much thought to the logistics of it yet. The station building will probably be elevated though allowing the platform & track to continue right up to the edge of the baseboard.

47 minutes ago, zilog said:

I actually had all the bits in my spares box to build a DIY DCC controller so managed to do that on Boxing Day while all the shops were shut!

Impressive! I'm sure a lot of people on here (me included) would be interested to find out a bit more about that.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Coombe Vale said:

With all due respect, do NOT lay points on a hill. You will have no end of problems with conductivity and derailments.

No problem, that’s the sort of advice I’m looking for!

41 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

Impressive! I'm sure a lot of people on here (me included) would be interested to find out a bit more about that.

This is the project I followed https://dcc-ex.com

it’s actually really simple as these things go, and the documentation is pretty good (not perfect, but it’s all free so I’m not complaining!)

you only need 2 things to get up and running - Arduino board (genuine Uno or Mega recommended for beginner, although a clone will work!) and a motor shield (clone is fine) plus wires and appropriate power supply/supplies. You can plug this into your laptop and control it with that. Optionally a Raspberry Pi which is a very small, cheap computer can be used instead of a laptop - although if you haven’t used one before there’s a little bit of a learning curve there. Happy to answer any specific questions!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hello Zilog, and welcome to RMWeb and the hobby. We all hope you have many years of pleasure ahead of you.

Offering advice to a beginner is a difficult chore, as we all seek different things.  The primary thing to learn is rule 1: it's your layout, so you can do whatever you want.  So, you have to figure out what you want, which is easier said that done.

I started with a prototypical layout of a small Scottish terminus station.  This gave focus to my activities, and stopped me from bouncing around like a ping-pong ball in a tumble dryer.  Beyond the basic trackplan, I'd suggest you focus on a location, region and/or era.  You don't have to be prototypical as I am, but it might aid the final product to be pleasing and coherent.  Some people choose to model a station from here with part of a goods yard from there and a signalbox from somewhere else.  Cutting down a real station to something manageable will help answer questions about signal and operations.

I also went with DCC, as there seems to be much more that you can do with it.  However, be aware that DCC by itself provides virtual no mechanism for feedback. Hence, automation requires the use of something beyond DCC, and each DCC manufacturer have their own proprietary bus.  You might also look at MERG, who do things with CAN bus.

In regards to the layout, consider using flexitrack for curves over settrack - you get a lot more - err - flexibility.  Be wary of inclines (which I don't have). Not frightened, just wary. 1:100 is a good goal, but means that 80mm clearance requires a run length of 8m to go up and the same to go down again.  Some layouts manage steeper inclines. Be wary of curves and turnouts on inclines, and test your locomotives to determine their pulling power prior to building your layout to avoid disappointment.

Also, be conscious of how far you can reach, and what you're going to have to reach over.  If you put your 7'x5' layout against a wall, you won't be able to reach from the front to the back to rescue a derailed wagon.

My last piece of advice is not to be in a hurry.  Unless you plan to nail your settrack to a door, then it will take you a while before your layout is half-way complete.  Marry in haste, repent in leisure.  I also enjoy making things, and am currently enjoying making model stone walls.  There is no hurry, and each thing I do I can rejoice in, comfortable that it's the best I can do at the time, and not merely good enough.

Having said that: rule 1. If you want to buy Skaledale retaining walls, then good for you.  I'd hope that nobody here would tell you that it's wrong.

best wishes & good luck

• Agree 1

Welcome to RWmeb.

There has been plenty of good advice already.

I have several of CJ Freezers track plan books, and read them through many times. You have been wise to

use as large a radius of track as possible. Freezer often mentions in his books expanding some of his plans if you have room.

It is also a good idea not to attempt to ambitious a project first time out, being able to get this to a completed state will give satisfaction, and you will learn along the way,

cheers

• Friendly/supportive 1