Stay alive for Hornby sentinel

russ p

Not specifically the 4 pin, but contains a link to a generic instruction to a) build your own stay alive and b) find the correct solder pads on your decoder.   https://www.modelrailforum.com/threads/diy-guide-how-to-fit-a-stay-alive-capacitor-to-Hornby-r8249.21076/  Note some comments tho, easier to buy a replacement decoder with a stay alive.  Internal space could also be a problem.   My limited understanding is that the capacitors need to be rated higher than any expected voltage, so the 16 volt stated in the article may be too low.

I have an 0-6-0 jinty and an 0-4-0 sentinal type with 4 pin decoders, and both run fine on DC but are very skittish and noisy when on DCC at slow settings on a test track.  Suspect I need to tweak CV like start volt, minimum speed etc and others to get it better, but being a newby with minimal experience, not up to that fiddling yet.   Another option is to add a permanently coupled shunting wagon with extra wheel pick ups, especially as the 0-4-0 sentinel has a very short ~25 mm wheelbase which does not like dead frog express points at all.

• Thanks 1