SBB freight operations / info

GCS

Hi all,

I’ve long been a fan of Swiss and Austrian railways and I’m looking at taking a dip and buying some Swiss trains from Fleischmann in N gauge, specifically the BR 193 SBB.

Is there a website with info or does anyone know what freight wagons are prototypically pulled by the BR93 and Rh1116?

Thanks, Guy

Hi.

The best advice I can give is settle down with you tube, Your question is very open ended and the subject material is vast, start with your chosen time frame and sit back. If like me you will come to the conclusion its as clear as mud but be patient and things will begin to fall into place. 

It will help if you have a area of interest in mind ( for me its the Austrian Brenner) you will come across literally hundreds of video's posted by various individuals. You will after a while begin to understand what goes where and how the trains are marshalled.

Further to this consider joining the Austrian Railway group and the Swiss railway society, both have plenty of help and advice available as well as active forum's.

It's not a quick fix, I have spent eight years working on my project and it's only in the last couple of years that I feel I have a reasonable understanding of How the modern European freight scene functions.

Have fun.

Craig.

Hi,

i watch way too much YouTube. Specifically loads of channels dedicated to Swiss railways. The two I find the most interesting are these two. Lots of freight trains. There are loads of others but I won’t list them all here.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCWkb5f5Ivj3ivoBMTjLnFVg

https://youtube.com/c/Thomas1980

Hope these help.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Informative/Useful 1

On 24/01/2022 at 18:15, GCS said:

Hi all,

I’ve long been a fan of Swiss and Austrian railways and I’m looking at taking a dip and buying some Swiss trains from Fleischmann in N gauge, specifically the BR 193 SBB.

Is there a website with info or does anyone know what freight wagons are prototypically pulled by the BR93 and Rh1116?

Thanks, Guy

There are various versions of Vectron (aka class 193) operating for SBB International.

I needed to visit my Uncle near Geneva to rescue railway photos and ephemera as he is now in a home due to age-related sight failure. Luckily between Covid waves I was able to make the trip in October 2021 and I tagged on a few days of linesiding in Switzerland.

Since my last dedicated linesiding on SBB/BLS  (I saw a bit of SBB on a February 2020 trip to RhB land)  in 2019 it was noticeable how 'Vectronisation' has moved on apace.

Put simply, all the major north - south traffic (ie Basel - Gotthard - Italy, and Basel - Loetschberg - Simplon - Italy) is majority Vectron. This traffic is mainly intermodal.

See my photo albums here:

Collection: Swiss railways - October 2021 (flickr.com)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59671832@N08/collections/72157720366141283/

Thanks for all your replies, I think YouTube is my friend on this one.

Quite surprised how many container wagons an SBB BR193 pulls, I counted 31 on a number of videos, super power locomotives!

Thanks, Guy

47 minutes ago, GCS said:

Thanks for all your replies, I think YouTube is my friend on this one.

Quite surprised how many container wagons an SBB BR193 pulls, I counted 31 on a number of videos, super power locomotives!

Thanks, Guy

Technically not SBB in the traditional sense of course, all leased and running with German identity numbers 

Still less powerful than the Re6/6 dating from the mid 1970s

• Informative/Useful 1

On 27/01/2022 at 00:34, GCS said:

Part of the reason for the NEAT (new Gotthard tunnel + new Ceneri tunnel) was to allow for more freight with less effort. Not having to go up the mountains allows for longer trains with just a single loco - combined with multi-country locos means that trains can go a lot further without needing to change or add locos. Of course the Vectron is powerful, but you don't need as much power nowadays anyhow.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2