Renton Street - Small BLT for now

auxie22

Hi All,

My name is Jules, I am an Aussie, I have been into Model Railway since I was 15 or 16. I actually got into it before I got into full sized trains. I've had a few go's at creating a layout but they didn't pan out. I had envisioned having quite a large layout but this year we have the opportunity to move into our own house. I will have the opportunity to build a purpose built shed for a larger layout once we move but while I am waiting, I figure I will make a smaller layout that will eventually integrate into a larger one. It will primarily be Scottish themed and some time between 1958 to around 1963 and somewhere around Edinburgh and Glasgow. I really like the feel of Buchanan Street so I wanted to do something like that but in a smaller scale.      

I will be using Peco Code 75 for the track and it will be DCC.

It will be fully automated using JMRI running on a Raspberry Pi

It will have automated coupling and decoupling and automated signalling. 

Dimensions: 450mm x 2400mm

Trackplan is based on a C.J. Freezer plan (Plan 43 - Crutched Friars)

1221440934_RentonStreet.jpg.15feee60a73b695d7a0090c1ea63ad7a.jpg

More to come soon!

Thanks,

Jules

Edited by auxie22
My initial post was probably a bit dour and didn't have much information so I thought I would give it a re-write.
  • Like 3

I'm not very good at woodwork (Electronics is more my speed). But here is the baseboard

1064265421_Baseboard2-scaled.jpg.55f039f1851dfebd60ee73acf6ff4d4f.jpg

Here are the boards in Situ - Yes they are on Storage Tubs

1025146733_BaseboardinSitu-scaled.jpg.c5a441e4c8ab22d6bc2a860a894d0b18.jpg

Going to lay foam on the boards next for sound deadening and smoother running...

Thanks,

Jules

Edited by auxie22
  • Like 1

Did a basic layout of the Track, printed out the Anyrail Plan in 1:1 scale so I could lay it out to get a rough idea of where things should be and to make sure the curves stay within limits...

662422697_TrackLaying1_scaled.jpg.f180af6090bba61c71814405be2c20bf.jpg

Drilling holes and threading the feeders through the board... the little board on the side is a splitter to split the main DCC bus... This is a low current variety so I mainly use it for my Cobalt IP Digital point motors...

1499302055_TrackLaying2_scaled.jpg.5c5c9640f4607b35110014fd1e705735.jpg

I don't get a whole lot of time to work on the Layout as I work during the day and I have a fairly busy home life but I hope to keep the thread updated each day

Thanks,

Jules

Edited by auxie22
  • Like 3

Hey All,

I didn't get a chance to do much to the Layout tonight as work ran over but I will be doing a lot more over the weekend (it's Friday, Tomorrow). Need to lay some more track then flip the boards up and mount the point motors and wire it all up. Definitely a weekend job.

Thanks,

Jules

Been trying to get more done on the layout but work has been a bit crazy of late. So daily updates went out the window.... My middle name should probably be "Mr. Messy" :)

468573668_TrackDone2_scaled.jpg.db4dbc4cf54ffb0807f82f1c8c1140c3.jpg

1358459769_TrackDone_scaled.jpg.b52982ce0ab0a3c89120d85b779d4fdb.jpg

Thanks,

Jules

Edited by auxie22
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

11 days since my last post.... Here is some messy wiring for you all... something I enjoy and so I tend to take my time... planning on getting some train detectors that use current transformers... Then set them up with an Ardiuno and JMRI.... Then onto signalling....

wiring_scaled.jpg.3e93e9c01bc584649c5d5c68bb68e85b.jpg

Edited by auxie22
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, auxie22 said:

Here is some messy wiring for you all... something I enjoy and so I tend to take my time... planning on getting some train detectors that use current transformers... Then set them up with an Ardiuno and JMRI.... Then onto signalling....

That’s my kind of layout!

Paul.

• Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

It's been a while since my last post, as we have had a lot going on. My Wife and Kids got COVID, so we were in isolation (I didn't get it thankfully). As for the layout, I have mostly been chipping locos, making adjustments to the Control Panel in JMRI, adjusting wiring and also building Block Detectors. Nothing much to see but I will put up some pictures of the Block Detectors and maybe some screenshots of JMRI if anyone likes that sort of thing. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, auxie22 said:

Hey guys,

It's been a while since my last post, as we have had a lot going on. My Wife and Kids got COVID, so we were in isolation (I didn't get it thankfully). As for the layout, I have mostly been chipping locos, making adjustments to the Control Panel in JMRI, adjusting wiring and also building Block Detectors. Nothing much to see but I will put up some pictures of the Block Detectors and maybe some screenshots of JMRI if anyone likes that sort of thing. 

All the best my friend for a speedy recovery for your family.....

Regards

(ex- Sydney-sider (Manly))

Bob

• Friendly/supportive 1