RMweb

Does it already exist? And what do you think of it?

J.M

Hi There,

Do you know If a Simelar disign of this 0-4-2 Tank already exist?

I Starter to Draw that drawing 3 months ago and am now finaly finished. I ask this because i was make an Other drawing 1-1½ years ago and as it was finished it Turns Out that it was the LB&SCR E5.

Anyway, do you Like this small Freelancer Design?

IMG_20220125_144008554.jpg

Edited by J.M

• J.M changed the title to Does it already exist? And what do you think of it?

Bit like a LBSC D1.

However such large driving wheels would indicate a fast passenger engine, for this the coal and water capacity are far to small.

Unlikely to be outside cylinder, the driving wheel is obstructing the location for a motion bracket needed to support the slide bars.  It would work better as a 2-4-0.

Pete

For inside cylinder these would need to be higher so slidebars and conn rods are above the leading axle.

Rear driving wheel would need moving forward to allow cranks & motion to clear the front of the firebox.

Pete

On 26/01/2022 at 17:38, Miss Prism said:

Try inside cylinders.

The drawing showing the front view of the locomotive shows outside cylinders. A peculiar bird,  the cylinders are offset to the smokebox saddle, I cannot see any  paths for the steam circuit,  for the entry or exit  of steam to and from the cylinders from boiler or smokebox on the fore stroke

Edited by Pandora

Outside cylinder 0-4-2T were very common on narrow gauges, 2ft and 2ft 6in, but most were outside-framed too. This 3ft gauge one, however, is inside framed, and shows a logical disposition of cylinders, motion-bracket etc, possible because it has teeny wheels.

’Talyllyn’ is an 0-4-2ST, of course, and has inside frames and not-teeny driving wheels, so worth a study, although I’m pretty sure it began life as an 0-4-0ST.

Zanzibar Railway - 0-4-2T steam locomotive (Bagnall Locomotive Works E2137)

The thing that worries me about the OP’s loco is the overhang beyond the front drivers, combined with a short driven wheelbase, which will make it behave like a rocking-horse, while the outside cylinders will make in ‘box’. Off the track as often as on?

Mind you, I used to indulge in such designs, often during lessons, when I was at school, so I’m nobody to talk.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

Here’s a Baldwin, again 3ft gauge I think.

E5D51E9F-FD29-43CB-ABF7-F1F7D570479F.jpeg.8bda11b73db08ad16695196cf0f86ca6.jpeg

And, the mildly insane standard gauge, tube profile Kerr Stuart owned by The Underground.

E39FF014-D6E2-44EB-A121-20A9EA9F2344.jpeg.5c58ac06cf9641385bf63efd80c4f6da.jpeg

What I can’t think of is an o/c 0-4-2T with big drivers, but I bet if we all keep scouting our memories …….

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

Ans_05373-1159.jpg.57e1ed91bfc4ca79c1e172534ebc0083.jpg

I assume it's a well tank and has about enough coal storage in the side bunkers for about 5 mins work!:)

Or is it that mythical beast that can run on fresh air?

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

I assume it's a well tank and has about enough coal storage in the side bunkers for about 5 mins work!:)

Or is it that mythical beast that can run on fresh air?

I think it a Tender engine. Isnt it?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

18 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Good finds.

Did any of Craven’s weird and wonderful collection end-up meeting the spec?

Craven wasn't particularly fond of outside cylinders, producing a handful of locos.  The nearest to the OP is this one:

image.png.90ffed81821b4567150f2c71947e8f56.png

The 0-4-0 saddle tank that acquired trailing wheels before ending up as No 400, the Brighton Works 0-4-0 well tank.  Bodies of these were available on Shapeways!

There was this one from even earlier, 

image.png.9523a9a4ebd56bbd11c6b204af6f5cc1.png

• Informative/Useful 1