The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Barry Cryer RIP

• RMweb Premium

I am a bit surprised that nobody has started a thread marking Barry Cryer's passing. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34041501

He was a brilliant comedy writer, and also a half way decent stand up (or actually sit down in his last tour) in his own right - his timing was utterly immaculate.  I saw him three times, during his tours, and actually met him on two occasions - the first time, I missed him, but the next time at the interval, I went round the side of the theatre and he was standing just outside the stqge door having a cigarette, and we passed the time of day for a few minutes - he was a lovely bloke, and not at all stand offish - in the first occasion, I thanked him for his show, and his response was "no thank YOU for coming to see me"  Much of the material was old, but old in a very fresh way - his joke that he wrote for Kenny Everett about the snail sitting on the lawn in the sunshine songing "chanson d'amour" and the lawn mower coming towards him going "rat a tat a tat" was about 20 years old, but still fresh in his hands.

A great comic talent has gone to meet a lot of those he wrote for - RIP Barry - you single handedly gave a lot of people over a couple of generations a whole lot of laughter.

• Like 11

The closest I got to meeting Barry Cryer was on a Virgin Pendolino travelling to London.  I sat diagonally oposite Barry either side of the aisle.  Although I thought I recognised the silver-haired gent I wasn't entirely sure until the ticket collector came round, at which I heard his voice.  The ticket collector said something to the effect of "Now I think I know you," and a few moments later returned with his autograph book.  I thought about saying something but didn't know what I could have said and, in any case, Barry was reading a book or newspaper (I forget which) and it didn't seem fair to disturb him.

Anyway, thanks for the laughs Mr Cryer.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I was once at an awards ceremony for educational software at which Barry was the after-dinner speaker. He had evidently taken the trouble to inform himself a little about the business so he was able to give impression that he'd prepared his routine just for us. A true professional whose warmth and good humour shone through.

(On the other hand on a subsequent occasion we had Sandi Toksvig....)

• Like 5

I, too, was lucky to meet Barry Cryer. 

Some years ago I was heading back to Euston from a business meeting for an early evening train back to the North West, and noticed Barry sitting opposite me on the Tube.  He looked a bit under the weather after what might have been a long liquid lunch [remember them?].  As I rose to get off at Euston, he got up as well.  I enquired if he wanted any assistance up to the main line station, and he replied.  "Thank you, you are very kind".   As we cut our way through the throng I took the oportunity to thank him for all the laughter he had given me (and many others) down the years.  He replied "Thank you,  No one has ever said that to me".   I was quite taken aback, but on reflection and reading his obituary, it was probably a remark of a modest gentleman.  We negotiated the ticket turnstiles and up the escalator to the main Euton concourse.  We shook hands, bid farewell with another "Thank you" from him.  He went on his way to North London while headed for the Pendolino, reflecting that I had just met one of my heroes of comedy. (Alisdair)   

• Like 8