Other companies?

BlackFivesMatter

2 hours ago, BlackFivesMatter said:

There are a number of locos appearing in "other than Brighton" liveries. I know the WC and P had one in GWR green, and the Col Stephens railways ran in their own liveries, but LSWR? SECR? Really? 

The WC&P actually had two Terriers. They would have run in the WC&P livery, probably their light green, until acquired by the GWR, along with the railway, in 1940, and only then received GWR livery.  One survived into the fifties under BR.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/02/2022 at 16:41, Nearholmer said:

A very good Terrier summary, which saves a lot of leafing through Bradley.

https://www.lbscr.org/Rolling-Stock/Locomotives/Stroudley/A1.xhtml

That seems to be missing quite a bit on information though, compared with the SREmG list:

37 - No mention of it post 1918

38 - Same, and no mention of it's time as S&MR 8

40 - No mention post grouping (W11, then 2640, 32640)

50 - No mention of it's time as W9

53 - No mention of it's time as WCPR 4, or GWR 6

54 - Became 680S / DS680, never 1751 or 31751

68 - Was withdrawn in 1937, never carried a BR number

77 - Became W13, then 32677, never carried 2677

78 - No mention of it's time as W4/W14

83 - No mention of it's time as S&MR 9

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

That seems to be missing quite a bit on information though, compared with the SREmG list:

37 - No mention of it post 1918

38 - Same, and no mention of it's time as S&MR 8

40 - No mention post grouping (W11, then 2640, 32640)

50 - No mention of it's time as W9

53 - No mention of it's time as WCPR 4, or GWR 6

54 - Became 680S / DS680, never 1751 or 31751

68 - Was withdrawn in 1937, never carried a BR number

77 - Became W13, then 32677, never carried 2677

78 - No mention of it's time as W4/W14

83 - No mention of it's time as S&MR 9

I think the key to this is in the website's name.  One of the principles of the Brighton Circle is that it concentrates on the history of that company.  Once these locos fled the nest they become someone else's responsibility. If you want a full story you need to consult Bradley RCTS Volume 1, or the various monographs that have been published on this class.

• 10 months later...

A question - when the LBSCR* sold off terriers, were they sold direct or through a dealer? Were they just shorn of any LBSCR identity, such as number plates etc (presumably not works plates though), or repainted in the buyer's livery (subject to payment)?

Just wondering if on a putative independent line (like a Colonel Stephens line) a terrier in substantially LBSCR livery, just renumbered / renamed, would be likely?

Thanks in advance.

Or any other company / locs for that matter, e.g. the LNWR coal engine on the Shropshite and Montgomeryshire Railway.

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

A question - when the LBSCR* sold off terriers, were they sold direct or through a dealer? Were they just shorn of any LBSCR identity, such as number plates etc (presumably not works plates though), or repainted in the buyer's livery (subject to payment)?

Just wondering if on a putative independent line (like a Colonel Stephens line) a terrier in substantially LBSCR livery, just renumbered / renamed, would be likely?

Thanks in advance.

Or any other company / locs for that matter, e.g. the LNWR coal engine on the Shropshite and Montgomeryshire Railway.

As is so often the case, I think the answer is "it depends"! Some were certainly sold directly, I don't know if others went through a dealer. Some were overhauled and repainted in the customer's livery - but others went complete with their Brighton identity - see the photo of Bishopsgate in Pauling's service here:  https://www.railwayarchive.org.uk/the-other-locomotive-builders

• Thanks 1

On 24/12/2022 at 10:41, Nick C said:

As is so often the case, I think the answer is "it depends"! Some were certainly sold directly, I don't know if others went through a dealer. Some were overhauled and repainted in the customer's livery - but others went complete with their Brighton identity - see the photo of Bishopsgate in Pauling's service here:  https://www.railwayarchive.org.uk/the-other-locomotive-builders

That's great, just what I was looking for, thank you!

On 24/12/2022 at 10:41, Nick C said:

The three Terriers that were sold to the LSWR and SECR were sent directly to Nine Elms and  Ashford respectively to have various modifications and a repaint before entering service, so presumably travelled in Brighton livery for that short journey. Five were sold to the Admiralty, and Bradley (RCTS) notes that two were noted still in Brighton livery in store at Dalmuir in Dumbartonshire, in 1921, three years after entering military service. Two years later they were sold to the Shropshire & Montgomery Railway, and presumably if they hadn't been repainted whilst in store, they would have travelled in Brighton umber south to their new home.

On an earlier occasion, around 1885, the LB&SCR had sold at least three surplus locos to the West Lancashire Railway, and two retained their names, as well as the livery, which must have puzzled the new locals as to why Horsham and Dorking should have been so honoured. The Brighton gave the a good refurbishment before sending them north, and included supplying and fitting new numberplates in the Brighton style.  Curiously the Brighton had acquired a couple of goods locos from the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway in 1857, and they retained their MSLR chocolate brown livery until 1857!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...