Mountsorrel Branch

Nearholmer

Apologies if there is already a thread about this, but having looking I can't find one.

Could anyone enlighten me as to what there is to see at Mountsorrel, and when it is open to the public? The various websites all seem to link round in a cricle, without conveying much information.

I'm planning a bike ride that will pass nearby, once the spring arrives properly, and it looks like a potential "lunch stop and nose round" place.

Thanks in advance, Kevin

• Like 1

Thanks.

That was the site that slightly mystified me, I'm afraid. Perhaps I'm being a thickie, but it isn't totally clear to me that the railway museum on site is open at all the times that the site is open.

Its just that I've been caught before, turning up at places to discover that the very part I'm interested in is "only open on Thursdays in the week of the full moon, when Fred comes to site with the keys".

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Thanks.

That was the site that slightly mystified me, I'm afraid. Perhaps I'm being a thickie, but it isn't totally clear to me that the railway museum on site is open at all the times that the site is open.

Its just that I've been caught before, turning up at places to discover that the very part I'm interested in is "only open on Thursdays in the week of the full moon, when Fred comes to site with the keys".

The whole site, including the Rail Museum display, is open the same times as the Cafe, so you shouldn't get that problem!

There are certain Saturdays each month when shunting displays take place, either using the Ruston diesel or A-B steam loco "Colin Mc Andrew". These are due to start again from March onwards from what I was told a few weeks back.  These should be mentioned on their FB page, but it might be worth a phone call to check if you happen to be planning to go on a Saturday to see if anything is happening that particular day.

The Narrow Gauge circuit is currently being rebuilt with a view to running passenger trains later in the year as well.

21-133.JPG.5670081ad35d7f291357b7fd23068ec9.JPG

20-267.JPG.b6dea882a0e806a0acdd94b637cd222c.JPG

21-129.JPG.6acad5cb0262708f7bbcd53212d908af.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Perfect.

I didn’t even know there was 2ft gauge, so that might be a bonus.

Currently, I’m trying to decide the earliest date I might dare hope for a week when it won’t rain, and will be above ten degrees all day, so probably late April at the earliest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

Perfect.

I didn’t even know there was 2ft gauge, so that might be a bonus.

Currently, I’m trying to decide the earliest date I might dare hope for a week when it won’t rain, and will be above ten degrees all day, so probably late April at the earliest.

There is an appeal on at the moment to raise funds for a new extension to the workshops to house the narrow-gauge loco "fleet" - which currently stands at 2 locos - plus to provide room for a visiting 2' gauge steam loco in the future.  There is a bit more info in their December Supporters newsletter.... 

http://heritage-centre.co.uk/newsletters/newsletter-christmas-2021/

The two NG locos on site are shown in the photo below.....

DSCF5092

The Ruston is actually ex British Railways, Chesterton Junction PW depot.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

Not sure of the origins of that one - though it has a Derbyshire Dales Narrow Gauge Railway logo on the side of it....

20-274.JPG.77eba136ad1ea1aae46114c8c1fa435b.JPG

Not listed in the DDNGR fleet online and I think that one is actually owned by the Mountsorrel operation.

The Ruston was originally based at the DDNGR but was loaned to Mountsorrel, though its original owner died in the last couple of years and it was sold on to someone else. They were supposed to be taking it away, but didn't have anywhere for it to go, so it stayed at Mountsorrel !

Edited by Johann Marsbar
Reinstated photo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

The web site name http://heritage-centre.co.uk/ doesn't exactly give the impression that it's about one locality - it looks more like a generic site about lots of places all over the country.

I agree with the posts above that this branch could with better info on their web site, and it's not being well publicised even on the GCR site.

Although I usually visit the GCR a few times year, I've only travelled once on the Mountsorrel branch and I didn't know they were doing that lift bridge.  Definitely time for another trip on the branch..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The web site name http://heritage-centre.co.uk/ doesn't exactly give the impression that it's about one locality - it looks more like a generic site about lots of places all over the country.

I agree with the posts above that this branch could with better info on their web site, and it's not being well publicised even on the GCR site.

Although I usually visit the GCR a few times year, I've only travelled once on the Mountsorrel branch and I didn't know they were doing that lift bridge.  Definitely time for another trip on the branch..

25 dates agreed for branch services in 2024 - at least - and some of them will be steam worked as well.

Believe it or not, the GCR seemed to originally consider the Heritage Centre as a form of "Competition" so that's why they never really mentioned the place.  That was mainly due to the excellent cafe (Granites) at the Centre when the GCR have one at Rothley Station, not that far away.  The new GCR management seem to have woken up and dispensed with that concept and, in addition,  the GCR rail tickets should allow access to the Heritage Centre without additional payment of a fee this year due to recent negotiations.  The Heritage Centre was free admission until early in 2023 when the significant utility price hikes meant that site running costs were not covered by sales of food/drink in the cafe.

The branch line is actually owned by the GCR itself with the Heritage Centre being a seperate non-profit body that runs that site.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

This is a link from a few years back about the lift bridge project...

http://heritage-centre.co.uk/in-the-press/stephenson-lift-bridge/

It's being rebuilt with the intention of having it operational so it can be lifted manually - as it was when first built in the 1830's.  Lat time it was able to be raised was when it was still in situ in Leicester in the 1950's!    It will be on a storage siding, so wagons will certainly be able to pass over it when its all finished.

For an Internationally important object, needless to say, sources of grant aid to complete the work have been somewhat lacking from major bodies, which explains the delays in getting it completed, not to mention the decision to not take "short cuts" by using modern equipment/materials in the rebuild. The refurbished original bearings cost 3 to 4 times the price of replacing them with a modern version.....

• Like 2

Funding from many bodies seems to go in phases as they often have a specific slant needed to be included in the application.

Many years ago HLF needed you to include Educational within the criterion.  I was staying in a B&B before visiting a railway and was invited to join with some of the working members who mentioned they had failed on a HLF grant.  I mentioned the then in comment about education and a few weeks later heard they had got a grant.

Many projects even though they are worthy don't tick the right box for funding.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Having delivered some surplus 12":1 foot scale railway items to them today..........

DSCF1300.JPG.cc327e3bd8af8ebc9be5faf71d9280be.JPG

...this is the current state of the lift bridge project......

DSCF1302.JPG.74435b0fc541b2bd39700834d11beb63.JPG

DSCF1305.JPG.c79151b44faf0046306bc262f8c2186a.JPG

DSCF1309.JPG.576efb09a6bb373848078aa8d04b32cc.JPG

The aim is to have it completed by the Autumn with an Official launch after that at some point.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...