Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Survey, of sorts.

• RMweb Gold
On 04/02/2022 at 14:59, B.A.L said:

I’m doing Product Design for my A-levels and my assessed product will be involving modelling. What are the biggest drawbacks to modelling, either while practicing the hobby or effects that tend to put people off?

I mirror much of what others have said above but add a further observation, quality of what is now available commercially and general decline in attitudes to modelling, but not crafting.

As a child of the 1950s I grew up in an era of DIY, and continuation of the wartime make do and mend attitude. (Look up Barry Bucknell for the prevailing DIY attitudes). Toys were limited and most model trains and many other vehicular toys were lithographed tin-plate, producing something in card was therefore cheap and far less distanced from those contemporary litho printed items than from the moulded items that came a decade or so later. Cereal packaging, Christmas selection boxes etc., carried printed card cut out and glue model kits, effectively free to make other than the cost of glue. 

If you contrast that 1950s-60s era with today's environment what is commercially available is considerably advanced therefore the jump from absolute beginner gaining skills to make something comparable to what is commercially available is far wider a gap. You can still make models on a tray on a table with just simple tools but the conceptual barrier has become the norm that they aren't as good as the commercial products so why bother. I can't speak for non-railway modelling but the advance in ready to run and the pursuit of accuracy and exact fidelity to prototype is also a deterrent to advancing as it has to a large extent hollowed out the middle ground kits that were available at least into the 1980s but have gone from the market more recently.

Therefore in answer to your question:-

What are the biggest drawbacks to modelling? - for newbies, a conceptual barrier to starting and limited scope for finding kits for many areas within the hobby that bridge the gap between basic starter level and highly detailed brass. 

Edited by john new
Clarity of one of the points made.

14 hours ago, john new said:

What are the biggest drawbacks to modelling? - for newbies, a conceptual barrier to starting and limited scope for finding kits for many areas within the hobby that bridge the gap between basic starter level and highly detailed brass. 

John,

I think your last paragraph is an oversimplification. There are many relatively simple kits including moulded plastic, printed card and laser cut wood  kits that enable people to move beyond the basic level. "Making" scenery seems to be something that people readily take on because there is no alternative. However assembling and painting a goods van or wagon  seems to be something people don't appear to be so willing to do.

Perhaps what is lacking is the self belief that it is possible to learn skills, that making more of your own models, whilst initially challenging is very satisfying. Is there an unwillingness to risk getting it wrong? Why put yourself to any trouble when you can buy it ready made?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Dear B.A.L.

No doubt you went into posting your question/request, hoping to find helpful assistance but without any clear idea of how to frame your question. What you have got is probably of no help at all. Such enquiry is to be encouraged. It is the likes of you who will fashion the future development of our nation, as well as paying for our pensions.

So having pondered this over, perhaps I can set you on a more helpful path.

A word first about my background. I have an Engineering Degree and have been in industry for many years now, mainly working on software test and project requirements with several major organizations.

You have indicated that this is an A-level project, so I presume that you a 6th-form student following a vocational course for a future career; possibly scientific, manufacturing or even artistic.

I think that the only help that I can offer, is to encourage you to look again at the problem, so that you are better equipped to ask, and answer, meaningful questions that will clearly define what the problem space is.

You don’t say what this project is and I don’t think that I need to ask.

It would be limiting to just see a model as being a mechanical contraption of metal and plastic that is powered by electricity or clockwork; as would be dominant on this website.

My understanding of a model, is that it is a representation of something, existing or proposed, which may or may not have a physical presence in the real world. It’s purpose being to show a required feature of its prototype (that’s the thing that is being modelled), so that the prototype may be studied.

To the historical wargamer, it is a small figurine that can be moved about a table-top board.

To the car designer, it is a full-size, milli-metre accurate clay mock-up of a car body.

To the entrepreneur, it can be a written business plan submitted to a backer.

To the software developer, it can be a drawing to show how modules interface.

The ‘model’, be it in the physical or virtual world, does not have to completely look, or behave, like its prototype in every detail. For, as I said, it is just there to study a feature.

So…

I think that your first question to yourself should be: Do I understand what the prototype is?

I.e. What are its properties? How will it be used? Why is it needed? What are its constraints? Who will be using it, and where?

Having understood this, do I now understand the model?  i.e. what is the property that is to be studied? What level of accuracy is required? How will the information gained be used? What is the timescale? What is the budget? How will it be modelled? How will I know when I have sufficient information?

When you can answer these questions, I think that you will be in a strong position to proceed with your model and then onto producing your findings.

I am going to suggest a couple of websites that may be of help to you, they are:

Look up ‘Systems Engineering’ on www.incose.org

Also ‘Requirements Engineering’ on www.inflectra.com  (others are available)

I am presuming that your original question is not ‘How difficult is it to make a model railway?’  So my answer to how I interpret it, is that you need to be careful with any results gathered from a model. This is because they may not be accurate and will need to be interpreted, as directed by your understanding of that model. You will also need to be alert for any unexpected/undesirable properties.

I wish you success.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

John,

I think your last paragraph is an oversimplification. There are many relatively simple kits including moulded plastic, printed card and laser cut wood  kits that enable people to move beyond the basic level. "Making" scenery seems to be something that people readily take on because there is no alternative. However assembling and painting a goods van or wagon  seems to be something people don't appear to be so willing to do.

Perhaps what is lacking is the self belief that it is possible to learn skills, that making more of your own models, whilst initially challenging is very satisfying. Is there an unwillingness to risk getting it wrong? Why put yourself to any trouble when you can buy it ready made?

I guess it is how you define basic.

• Agree 1

OP here,

I’ve gone through the thread and thought to give an “update” of sorts.

In regards to the PD project I want to do something involving railway modelling and so started with a layout concept. I feel as that the course may favour an “innovative” item, and so the layout concept matured into a layout and storage hybrid item.

I was still unsure about what I wanted the product’s concept to be, so since acquiring research involving a “target market” (that will only be visible to the examiner and possibly future students) was a part of developing the product, I figured that I could get some insight from overall views to aid it’s direction.

The question’s vagueness was partly intentional so as to get a wide range of viewpoints...and partly to being the first time I’ve done something like this.

Now I’m more secure in what I want the outcome to be and thank everyone who took the time to reply to this with your thoughts, feedback and criticism :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for your comments, it was interesting to see the open plan methodology of your original question, very good.  I hope that you may have time to let us know how your project plan develops and what you decide on after your planning.  Perhaps you may find time to show us the final design, too, it would be interesting to know where it all leads.

I am sure that you would find much support here, should you wish to pass any ideas around for comment and hope that you will do so.

Wishing you all the best with your design.

Julian

{ Ret'd Teach, like the many others here, as you will already have noted, so they will be already well motivated to assist.}

• Like 1