Building up an HO intermodal train

TTDB

Hi all, started to dabble in my HO again  I’m modelling mostly DBAG and OBB but I’ve one Swiss loco  Roco rail pool 186 (73653) I normally set me upcoming layout in 200-2010 period so this will be an exception, I’ve orders some container flats  the  only ones I could find unloaded from B-Models and a few containers to go on them, I’d rather choose my own than the many that are offered loaded.

The last time I dabbled in HO and again I was building up an intermodal train ADE had just introduced some unloaded intermodal cars and Kombimodel were just starting their business , on a look about the web both seem to be pretty scarce now , kombimodel have a decent web page but are they still in business? I know the models were expensive but highly detailed , the ADE were reasonably priced for what you had but apart from a couple of second hand items not to be seen, am I correct in thinking that there is the one casting shared by several marketing names like the Hero’s, Railtop set up as there seems lots of duplicates ?

thanks 

Kombimodell still exist but other than the T4 I don’t think any of the promised wagons ever materialised. Instead they’ve concentrated on containers. Various wagons have been realised over the years but just like the UK market usually in short production runs that disappear from the shops quickly. I missed an ACME container wagon I wanted recently. The only container flat I’ve bought in the last couple of years was from Igra and I wouldn’t recommend. The wagon body is 100% plastic so has to be loaded or it just derails which is a pity as the detail is nice. Apologies that’s not a very positive response is it!

Thanks for the reply and the information about the IGRA models, I will wait and see what the B-Models are like and maybe order 2 more sets if pleased with them, I’ve pre ordered one of the ESU sets from Lippe, thr IGRA product where is it made China or Eastern Europe? 
I do like the look of the KombiModels but I’ve seen them on eBay for £90 for a single wagon and can’t justify paying that much and I can’t find a retailer who stocks them. The Rocky Rail look nice but again all seems quiet on their products I know Paul at Rocky Rail personally but haven’t spoken to him for a while, 

Hi,

I have a variety of Roco and Mehano vehicles in my collection, the Mehano may not be such high quality as the makes you mention but I find them adequate for a “layout” train. Most of my stuff was bought a few years ago and I still baulked at paying £25 for a Roco well car - they’d be at least that secondhand now!

seeing your location, you should be able to visit Arcadia Models in Shaw, Tim often has s/h items in as well as good stocks of new stuff but I don’t know which manufacturer’s he stocks now.

Then, I’d query Anoraks and Contikits to see what they have.

It’s a shame about the IGRA models being all plastic as I wanted a couple myself, having seen many of this type of wagon at Hamburg Harbourg, I wonder if they could have lead shot or something hidden within the under frame?

Cheers,

John 

5 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hi,

I have a variety of Roco and Mehano vehicles in my collection, the Mehano may not be such high quality as the makes you mention but I find them adequate for a “layout” train. Most of my stuff was bought a few years ago and I still baulked at paying £25 for a Roco well car - they’d be at least that secondhand now!

seeing your location, you should be able to visit Arcadia Models in Shaw, Tim often has s/h items in as well as good stocks of new stuff but I don’t know which manufacturer’s he stocks now.

Then, I’d query Anoraks and Contikits to see what they have.

It’s a shame about the IGRA models being all plastic as I wanted a couple myself, having seen many of this type of wagon at Hamburg Harbourg, I wonder if they could have lead shot or something hidden within the under frame?

Cheers,

John 

Thanks John I’ve been to Arcadia a couple of times very nice staff there , I keep thinking a drive to Frizinghall too one day, I got a few of the Roco HUPAC well cars just last week from ContiKits will look at a few more in couple of weeks I’d like a rake of 12 , the price of the in loaded wagon from B-Models shop isn’t that bad at €49 then I get my containers from truck.mo the cheapest I have seen in the AWM range, I think IGRA may have made a mistake by using plastic where everyone else has gone the metal way, not sure about the Mehano I remember when they were new must be 20yr ago now  don’t know if they are in the present range lots have disappeared like the Belgian locos and the type 41 DMU 

• Like 1

I have three IGRA megaflats, which I am pleased with. Derailing is a problem however the simple answer is put self adhesive car wheel balance weights inside the containers, problem solved. The other issue is they don't like tight radius track anything below radius three could be a problem and finally use Roco close couplers. 

Having completed the above mine now perform perfectly.  

• Informative/Useful 1

On 07/02/2022 at 06:54, TTDB said:

Thanks for the reply and the information about the IGRA models, I will wait and see what the B-Models are like and maybe order 2 more sets if pleased with them, I’ve pre ordered one of the ESU sets from Lippe, thr IGRA product where is it made China or Eastern Europe? 

According to the box the IGRA model was made in the Czech Republic.

10 hours ago, Nigel Emery said:

According to the box the IGRA model was made in the Czech Republic.

Thanks for the information, interesting as it seems many Eastern European manufacturers have yet to migrate production to China , I know some of the smaller German resin manufacturers are getting things cast in Ukraine 

My B-Mosels Sggmrss 90 have arrived , nice details and the packing from Van Bliervet is second to none a lot of quality foam that can be used in layout construction ,,thr models are of a high quality metal with excellent printing my own concern is a number of details (that can be fixed rather than post back to Belgium) have come loose of the wagon, this does include a snapped buffer and some rocket glue will resolve that all this with as mentioned the excellent postal packing (maybe from previous problems?) I do shiver to think how they would have been if just wrapped in bubble wrap, hopefully my container loads should be here tomorrow 

DC80D52D-45A9-41D2-BBD9-832F6B96FD37.jpeg

ACCF8AB7-1B3A-4C93-8D28-421FC9769D91.jpeg

3ABBB887-185D-4F10-AA08-EB35C050143B.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi mate,

That looks like a gorgeous wagon, well done. May I ask - is that actually a “seconds” wagon? You know, the type that is known to have some kind of damage so is at a reduced price.

I ask because I thought €49 an excellent price and of course, the box states “2nd choice” which is often found in Europe to mean factory second!

In which case, the small amount of damage is not only to be expected but if it were me, welcomed as it gives a huge reduction in cost.

Cheers,

John 

30 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hi mate,

That looks like a gorgeous wagon, well done. May I ask - is that actually a “seconds” wagon? You know, the type that is known to have some kind of damage so is at a reduced price.

I ask because I thought €49 an excellent price and of course, the box states “2nd choice” which is often found in Europe to mean factory second!

In which case, the small amount of damage is not only to be expected but if it were me, welcomed as it gives a huge reduction in cost.

Cheers,

John 

Thanks you have certainly clarified that exceptional price and the box meaning, easy simple repairs I’ve just ordered another pair that’s my lot then and some different containers from truck.mo , as long as the parts are in the box that’s all I worry about, I did wonder what 2nd choice meant but as you say for £43 can’t complain  better than £90 for a single KonbiModelle , I think the containers will be here tomorrow will add them and take some better photos , incidentally the b-models do come with a bag of additional parts to add to the models too.  

• Like 1

My containers have arrived today , just a quick glance and placement to see how they fit, not the best fit D633F096-DADD-4F79-9C34-31FE1CDF89EA.jpeg.59f64f0f106543301e9d6cf5d5c771ce.jpegB7BC909F-600B-4CEE-99D0-643AA2A33A4A.jpeg.52655e553171fedb24653b1b408d1741.jpegunfortunately but some fine tweaking at a later date and I’m sure they will look good, my b-models come with a small bag of “bits” but alas no fitment guide, also found a buffer missing on one of the wagons, I have some old Roco pieces I can maybe fit or get a friend to print me one off ,,,, the photos below are just a quick placement to see how they look, and fit my one photo shows the gap between the tanktainer frame and wagon top.515D9C58-934D-448B-8280-2C4C3DEABFE7.jpeg.35dfa1122f18d72a34d4e5ecf46166e1.jpegI taken the plunge and ordered another pair of these flats and another 6 various containers 

1 hour ago, ellocoloco said:

@TTDB Who manufactures the containers you bought and in what way are you having problems mounting them on the wagons?

The are from truck.mo under the AWM label they are very reasonably priced 

https://www.truckmo.com/awm/container/

the pins on the wagon and the holes in the actual containers don’t line up 100% mostly on the 20ft container , the 40ft are no problem at all. I will make the holes slightly larger on the base so they fit, 

• Thanks 1

As I’m sure youd aware I’m very impressed with the “graded” B-Models container cars, my only problem was a missing buffer on the box and they are send me a replacement all other bits that had become loose or dislodged brake wheels etc were floating around the box and have been re applied with the help of some rocket glue, 

I was that impressed I’ve just taken delivery of another 2 wagons and another single item with some B-Models RILS covered wagons are on the way, (see another RM Web buying from Europe thread I order in batches below £135 for a reason) 

Here are the next 2 delivered today also delivered were some more containers including a 26ft tanktainer , I particularly like the reefer very pleased with the price of this . EA5DA992-2BE8-43F3-ACF9-88D58BF9FF19.jpeg.20a1f1d9b3326a46110ab657d1577ce8.jpegEABE4F32-ACB6-4193-A0D8-CFB24B58D1A1.jpeg.b12903c774062c79d6b2ba2d5baaca0f.jpegThis will is give me a total of 5 of the cars , I’ve got one of the ESU intermodal son order to complete a rake of 6 

• Like 1