RMweb

Hornby 6w Sentinel

wainwright1

• RMweb Premium

I don't think they did. Port of London diesels were Yorkshire Engine 0-6-0s.

A quick search of the net has not thrown up any Sentinels owned by the PLA.  The Hornby one might be a flight of fancy.

• RMweb Premium

37 minutes ago, Moxy said:

The Hornby one might be a flight of fancy

Hornby's release is of the PBA, entirely different, as it's the Port of Bristol Authority ;)

Based on the preserved example at the East Somerset Railway, which is where the survey visit took place...

123275044_PBA39atEastSomersetRailway.png

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Islesy said:

Hornby's release is of the PBA, entirely different, as it's the Port of Bristol Authority ;)

Based on the preserved example at the East Somerset Railway, which is where the survey visit took place...

123275044_PBA39atEastSomersetRailway.png 0 B · 2 downloads

some inf here too -- https://bristolharbourrailway.co.uk/industrial-railways-of-bristol/avonmouth-docks/sentinel-pba-39/

cheers,

Keith

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Islesy said:

123275044_PBA39atEastSomersetRailway.png 0 B · 6 downloads

Thank you for the clarification, happy to stand corrected.

My interest is in the Manchester Ship Canal one.  With the OP's request about the PLA, I had mis-remembered the Hornby one was PBA.  Apologies for the confusion.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, russ p said:

Is this out already? 

in stock on the Hornby website

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/port-bristol-authority-sentinel-0-6-0-39-era-5-r30083

and elsewhere by the looks of various retailer web-sites.

cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman
  • Thanks 1

Body off reveals a weighted area to part of the cab and rear bonnet while the 6 pin socket is a normal overly complicated loose cabled affair, why cannot Hornby follow other makers neatness. It does however have the benefit of making it simple to hard wire a decoder. A positive compared to the 4 wheel Sentinels is the ready accessibility for removal of the capacitor if desired.

IMG_20220210_200721888~2.jpg

IMG_20220210_200525966~2.jpg

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I am working on mine at this moment. I agree about the dcc socket. It says it need a 6pin with a plug at the end of a lead, that is the Hornby R7150 https://uk.Hornby.com/products/standard-6-pin-decoder-r7150 but if you carefully clip off the suppression capacitor it is just possible to mount the chip on top of the motor with the socket stretching up to meet it. Clunky...

Highly tempted to hard wire a decoder.

My other struggle has been with the pickups as the seem a little "loose". They are phosphor bronze strips branching of the pickup plate and the are a bit "waving in the wind" . I'm concerned they will drop and catch the track at some point.

But I'm pleased to have one.

Now who does PBA decals so I can change the running number? :)

Luke

Zimo do a cabled 6 pin for £20 if someone wants a decoder with functionality at a cheaper price beyond the highly limited Hornby offering; the ZM617F, only place with stock currently seems to be AGR https://agrmodelrailwaystore.co.uk/zimo-uk-brand/zimo-mx617f-dcc-decoder-6pin-on-wire  and they charge £5 for postage (and a £1 more on ebay).

Putting the body back on the chassis with the dangly 6 pin arrangement last night  was enough of almost a rubix cube that having an equally dangling decoder was very off putting so definately going down the hardwire route. How much better it would have been with a Next 18 socket but can you imagine a Hornby Next 18 decoder :sarcastichand:

I have a small, now extinct, CTElectronik decoder spare which will be wired direct  to the motor. Had the baseplate off to see how the pick up wires were connected but it transpired they terminate in plungers under the motor. Did loosen the motor to investigate further but that appears to slot into the gearbox and I was wary of something slipping or it not going back togther right so the motor fastened firmly in place and a dc supply applied to the now wireless motor contatcts to check everything was okay.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Those who have Maurice Dart's colour album 'Cornish China Clay Trains in Colour' on their bookshelves will know this already, but while ECC's 4wDH P403D 'Denise' was away for air-braking to work with the new CDAs in 1987, an 0-6-0 version stepped in at Rocks Dryers. It was unnumbered, in darkish blue with twin mid-blue stripes, and although it was only employed for a few weeks until 'Denise' returned, 'modeller's licence' may suggest that it was so successful that ECC decided to keep it on.......

3 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Those pick ups are mangaled, the ones on mine are all flat and straight. Suggest take the base plate off to fix them, none should be almost level with the base plate 

They were flat and straight when I got the loco, but when running the loco they would occasionally get caught on the back of the wheels and bent out of shape. What is in the photo IS the straightened version! The pick up material is very (too?) thin and the drag from the wheel back produces more torque on the piece that connects the pickup to the main plate is just too great. I'm thinking about using a spare piece of phosphor brass to beef-up the the vertical piese that keeps twisting.

Luke