Update on Sweethome Alabama progress

Jon Grant 4472

The final partof this weekend's work on the layout involved adding some small stripsof plaster bandage at the base of the bridge abutment to hide the base of the stonework and also gives a first impression of how the finished scenery will appear.

IMG_6549.JPG

IMG_6546.JPG

IMG_6551.JPG

Now to give some thought to the scenery on board 3. I am hoping to add a stone-loading platform at the front of the layout to give a reason for parking gondolas there.

Jon

I spent last night making a retaining wall for a stone-loading platform that will sit at the front of the layout.

Unable to find any photos to model from, I decided to do my own thing and scratchbuilt a couple of walls using wooden coffee(disgusting sludge) stirrers from a well known outlet and some matchsticks. once built I poured in some coarse stone chippings and set them with ilduted woodworking glue, applied with an eye-dropper.

You can see how Sweethome Alabama fits into the cellar with Sweethome Chicago in the background.

IMG_6559.JPG

IMG_6553.JPG

IMG_6557.JPG

The retaining wall crosses a baseboard joint, so tonight's job is to cut the 2 seperate wall sections to cross the baseboards at the correct angle, paint them, and glue them into position. If the glue dries in time I'll add the platform as well.

Jon

Jon, here's an example on my layout (unfinished, and still needs ground cover, etc) of how stone loading is often done. (Truck also needs weathering.) post-8839-127800579927_thumb.jpg

This is a modified Blair Line kit http://www.blairline.com/truckdump/ The Blair Line prototype is sort of meant to be an Appalachian style coal loader (though this is very, very rudimentary for that use). These in the more simplified form I've used are common in the Western US, especially on the D&RGW, where they are used for loading ore and other minerals like soda ash. There are still some on the Searles branch of the UP and the connecting Trona Ry, which inspired my model.

Having painted the loading dock wall, I cut it to shape, added some polysterene formers and sanded to the rough shape I wanted for the platform.

I then got a bit carried away and also added the basic ground shape for the road leading up to the wooden bridge at the left end of the layout. I still want to cut an access road into the hillside but the basic shape is beginning to appear.

IMG_6589.JPG

IMG_65881.JPG

IMG_6590.JPG

IMG_6585.JPG

IMG_6586.JPG

IMG_6596.JPG

Jon

Jon, here's an example on my layout (unfinished, and still needs ground cover, etc) of how stone loading is often done. (Truck also needs weathering.)

I wouldn't like to be a truck driver reversing up to one of those loaders :O . I was toying with the idea of that style of stone loader after seeing a few photos in Tony K's book on operation, but it was too high for the fascia board I'd already cut.

Jon

Now that the basic scenery is starting to take shape, I couldnt resist trying out some of my photo backscenes to see what the overall effect might eventually look like. I printed the background scene from the third Railroad Graphics disc(available from LARC Products)

IMG_6565.JPG

IMG_6568.JPG

IMG_65641.JPG

IMG_6571.JPG

IMG_6569.JPG

IMG_6581.JPG

Jon

Archived