RMweb

Coaches made by Brown, Marshalls and Co. Ltd.

Petri Sallinen

Hi every enthusiasts in UK,

Brown, Marshalls and Co. Ltd. in Birmingham made first Finnish railway coaches on 1860's. We have not many documents or drawings left about these coaches in Finland. If I have understood right Brown, Marshalls and Co. Ltd. was specialized to make coaches for exporting in many countries. I would be happy if someone has any information where I would be able try to found historical doments of this company or documents concerning coaches made for Finnish State Railways. Well — at that time Finland was not independent but the part of Russia. 

Best Regards,

Petri Sallinen

Helsinki, Finland

I have made models some of them but I like to get more information.

P1Dp2w.jpg
HN9CoI.jpg

Edited by Petri Sallinen
  • Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Covered a bit in early days of GNSR Coaches by K Fenwick Lightmoor 

Vaguely recall oval panels on doors were an Ashbury trademark as supplied to North British Railway. 

Edited by DOCJACOB
spellcheck
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Petri Sallinen said:

Hi every enthusiasts in UK,

Brown, Marshalls and Co. Ltd. in Birmingham made first Finnish railway coaches on 1860's. We have not many documents or drawings left about these coaches in Finland. This is one drawing we have found and couple of pictures. If I have understod right Brown, Marshalls and Co. Ltd. was specialized to make coaches for exporting in many countries. I would be happy if someone has any information where I would be able try to found historical doments of this company or documents concerning coaches made for Finnish State Railways. Well — at that time Finland was not independent but the part of Russia. 

Best Regards,

Petri Sallinen

Helsinki, Finland

I have also made models some of them but I like to get more information.

P1Dp2w.jpg
HN9CoI.jpg

HAHxCn.jpg

Those are lovely models.

Brown Marshall built carriages for many railway companies as an independent company but later became part of Metropolitan Cammell.

There is a large collection of Metropolitan Cammell archives held by Birmingham museum. The archives include Brown Marshall documents.

This link should take you there.

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/50139/explore_and_discover/1628/metro-cammell_collection

I don't know exactly what they have or what documents or drawings you are looking for but that may be a good place to ask.

Tony Gee

• Like 1

12 hours ago, t-b-g said:

.....I don't know exactly what they have or what documents or drawings you are looking for but that may be a good place to ask.

Tony Gee

Thank you Tony for your answers. I am looking for drawings concerning the coaches they made to Finland but also documents concerning ordering and details (letters etc.)

Petri Sallinen