Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dual Gauge DCC (00/009)

hodgkinr

Hi guys

A bit of advice please.  I have a 00 gauge at the moment and i would like to incorporate a bit of narrow gauge at my harbor.  I'm currently using Lenz DCC and was wondering if there was any track available to allow me to incorporate a simple turnout into the standard gauge.  I have found a picture of what I mean .

Thanks 

Bob

mixed standardand narrow track.jpg

It gets complicated where the narrow gauge changes sides and changes common rail, with DCC  the track layout needs to be arranged to make sure the common rail is on the right side, with DC common return you can work round it.

One problem with the dual gauge Tillig track is the price, although other people have mentioned where to get it in the UK it is readily available in the EU - but still at a price to make you wince.

Yep thanks for reminding me.  I have had a look at the Tillig products and my plan was to use a 85192 LH turnout.  My concern was whether a small 0-4-0 would get across the frog insulator.  I'm hoping that I would be able to get a stay alive capacitor but it may be pretty tight.

5 hours ago, DCB said:

... with DCC  the track layout needs to be arranged to make sure the common rail is on the right side...

Why?  The rail that is common to both gauges could be on either side provided you wire the 00 and 009 sections using the same convention.  What it does mean is that the two rails that are only used by one gauge need to be connected to the same side of your bus - ie they are both black or both red.  The rail that is common to both gauges would then be connected to the other bus wire.   I agree that there is an issue if the rail that is common between gauges switches side, but that could be handled by an auto reversing module.

4 hours ago, hodgkinr said:

My concern was whether a small 0-4-0 would get across the frog insulator.

I don't have any experience, but since they are built for H0 / H0e, I can't see why 00 / 009 would be any difference.

Won't be an issue as you are just using the same controller - you will be surprised how easy it is :) 

What locos are you planning to use on it, 0-6-0 would be better I think as they are really designed for H0e which tend to have longer wheelbase than 009

Hi Iain 

I was planning on using a Kato 11-109 motorised chassis but I have not made my mind up on what I am going to stick on top yet.  I also have a Heljan L&B I could play with.  It's not really in keeping with my plans for the layout, but it would be nice to see it running on track.  I also have on order the new Bachman Alice class.

Regards

Bob

An 11-109 will definitely span the frog, as will the L&B - will need to wait ou, on Alice.

What will help with the 109 is some weight in whatever you stick on top, but not too much otherwise it won't move :) BTW - putting a  decoder in the new 109 is a pain in the rectum, can be done but a pain - MX617 is the one to go for and check Tramfabriek for settings to use with coreless motor

23 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

There is no common in DCC and all you need to do is keep the right on the right and the left on the left

I completely agree with what WiMorrison said . for those who work better with drawings 

440535061_duelgaugepoints.png.b771021afa9734f0acc3ba66eee1dabc.png

the Grey crossings (frogs) need to be insulated from the rest of the track work & could be controlled by a frogjuicer

the Red crossing can be all metal as it is all the some phase (DCC for polarity)

I have several points like the one shown in the first post

When i built them i didn't realise there was a prototype for my points

Thanks for showing that point

John

Edited by John ks
mistake